S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Hard to start aaz  (Read 2351 times)

May 04, 2019, 12:31:07 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

Hard to start aaz
« on: May 04, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »
Guys,
 My rebuilt aaz with re-sealed pump is a bugger to start. Even after running for 10 minutes, if I shut it off and try to re-start it, it takes two attempts or more to get it to fire up. In other words, it needs to turn over say...............10x before it runs. The only seal in the pump I did not replace was the O ring on the governor shaft.

New glow plugs, pump does not leak diesel. Pump timing set to .95 mm with fuel screw and boost turned up.
 I have clear fuel lines.....and it seems there are always air bubbles in them.....the fuel "in" and the return line. No obvious fuel leaks at the line connections.

I do have a Racor water separator / filter installed in place of the oem vw fuel filter. Wondering if it is letting air into the system? 
 I have a 12v fuel pump installed in-line, pre filter. It does allow fuel to free-flow when not in use. Running the 12v pump before starting does not seem to make a difference.
 I do have a one way check valve installed in the fuel "in" line to prevent back flow, installed pre 12v pump. I do not have a check valve in the fuel return line.......it's open / unobstructed flow right back to the fuel tank.

This is in my Samurai.

The aaz in my 1995 Golf flashes right up, pronto, like it should. I need to make the aaz in my samurai behave like this!

Thots please, on possibilities for hard starting issue.

Thinking I'd try replacing the Racor for an oem vw filter to rule that out........but thot I'd ask here first. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 12:35:54 pm by Spokerider »

Reply #1May 13, 2019, 10:14:53 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

Re: Hard to start aaz
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:53 pm »
ok i am tinkering on a 98 auto mustang. and after i shut it off after driving any amount of time. it will have a really hard start or have to be jumped. i have to put a battery charger on it every morning to start it. or jump it. i am thinking it is the battery.

what does every one here think?

Buzz off.
 This is my thread.

Shameless bump  ;D

Reply #2October 26, 2020, 04:39:14 pm

lovevws

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 04:39:14 pm »
Try playing with the fuel mixture maybe, and note where it was originally.
Timing should be good.
Maybe make sure your fuel filter is good. But you are on that..
Confirm glow plugs are working.
Maybe air leak in fuel system or just a warn out engine maybe.

Reply #3October 26, 2020, 05:34:41 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:34:41 pm »
There is no 'mixture' adjustment on a diesel.  That is gasser thinking and does not apply to unthrottled diesels.  They always ingest as much air as they can.  Increasing the fuel will raise the rpms.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 05:40:06 pm by libbydiesel »

Reply #4October 29, 2020, 01:14:14 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 01:14:14 am »
 This is an old thread but the info is still current.
 Sounds like he has air in the fuel.
 That is often caused by a fuel line restriction
causing a vacuum that expands air in the fuel.
 More often than a fuel line leak that only lets air in but doesn't leak fuel on the ground.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block