Author Topic: 79 rabbit MTDI river pump build!  (Read 3443 times)

April 06, 2019, 03:07:37 pm

Bassfishingtwo

79 rabbit MTDI river pump build!
« on: April 06, 2019, 03:07:37 pm »
It’s been 4 years sense I’ve owned a Volkswagen so I figured its time to get back into it. Found this extremely clean 79 rabbit, came with a 1.5l N/a diesel 4 speed. Unfortunately I bought the car before I actually could put eyes on it. The shell did not disappoint but the motor has low compression. Oh well, i was planning this swap when I first decided to pick it up just not this soon. Luckily a good buddy of mine around town had a AHU he was planning on swapping into his mark 2 gti a few years ago but never got around to. The new motor has 140k on it with a new turbo and a rebuilt Etdi pump.
My goals for this swap aren’t sky high.. right now. Looking to just install the pump and get the motor running and drivable, the transmission set up is going to be a simple 020 5 speed (which I still need to find) and I’m going to use a 16v pressure plate, 210mm clutch disk, and some sort of flywheel to make this all work. The reason I’m going this route is to save a few bucks on hydro clutch set ups, speedo cables, and so on. I think down to road I’ll do the work and spend the money to run an 02a/j transmission but for now I just want to get the wiring figured out get it running and road worthy. Other then the trans set up I’ll do a timing belt kit, figure out a V belt system to run the water pump and alternator, and do the EGR delete. Later down the road I plan on cleaning up the engine bay, painting the motor, sending the pump out to be built up a little if I feel I need more power down the road, maybe some air ride, and wheels! But we will see. For now this is where we are at!

Started the project last fall but kind of took a back seat this winter. Being self employed and it being tax season money was tight! But I’ve been starting it back up. Originally I was planning on doing a full Etdi build but I’ve decided to go a different route. Picked up a 300tdi rover pump off eBay for a good price. Everything has been set up on the motor (clutch, alternator and I had replaced the timing belt and timed up the motor before I put it away for the winter) so I’m going to be pulling that stuff back off to install the pump.

As far as pump set up goes I’ll probably go with an ALH pulley and hub. I’ve read a lot about these swaps and I’m curious about the possibility of running the stock AHU pulley and having a machine shop slot the mounting holes on the pump for timing purposes. If anyone has any information on that I’d appreciate it.
Also curious if there’s anything to know about my particular pump the codes are:
R509-3
ERR6700

Not sure if there are any specific information on this pump for timing purposes or if it’s a favorable pump to have or not. Would love some info if you have some!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1April 10, 2019, 04:47:18 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
Re: 79 rabbit MTDI river pump build!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 04:47:18 pm »
How much did your pump cost you?
US ebay or somewhere else?
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #2April 10, 2019, 05:18:54 pm

Bassfishingtwo

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 05:18:54 pm »
Something like 400$. Came from the UK.

Reply #3September 06, 2019, 11:48:17 pm

Bassfishingtwo

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 11:48:17 pm »
Whelp I know it’s been a slow project but progress was made this evening. Motor is in the car and the first start was a success! It runs!

Hopefully I’ll have some more time for it this weekend and more to report back!

Fixmyvw.com