Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: AAZ oil pressure lost  (Read 1429 times)

April 03, 2019, 09:45:43 am

Dubdoc

AAZ oil pressure lost
« on: April 03, 2019, 09:45:43 am »
Just a quick question. If the vacuum pump on an AAZ or 1.6 buggered up, could I lose power assist to the brakes AND oil pressure??? This just happened to me.  I started it yesterday morning and started out, only to have the oil light come on. When I hit the brakes I had no booster. I've had everything apart and it all looks just fine. I am confused.

Reply #1April 03, 2019, 11:05:24 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: AAZ oil pressure lost
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:05:24 pm »
I was chasing a similar problem with my 81 Rabbit.  Start it, easy out into an alley way, no throttle per se and then zip... oil light on and no pressure. 

I thought it was the oil pump and vac pump connection, not much of a stub of a shaft sticking into the vac pump.  I couldn't see and slack or the fact that my oil pump was loose either.  I dropped the oil pan to verify that.  But yeah if those two parts become disconnected you will cease to have oil pressure but the vac pump runs off the gear and intermediate shaft does it not?

I would think a loose bolt holding down the vac pump would be easy to spot as oil would be going everywhere. 

You don't say what style vac pump you have, the gear or the diaphragm one.  I used to run the diaphragm ones but got tired of replacing the rubber on it.  With out that you don't really have a pump that is creating a vacuum for the booster. 

Got leaks at the lines or the check valve?  I run a vacuum gauge tied into that line going to the booster so I know when I have good or low readings.  If you have one slap it on there for a bit and see how the readings go. 

Reply #2April 23, 2019, 07:43:58 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

Re: AAZ oil pressure lost
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 07:43:58 pm »
The intermediate shaft drives the vacuum pump which drives the oil pump. If the vac pump hold down comes loose it will lift up, disengage and you will lose oil pressure. You may or may not lose vacuum.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

S-PAutomotive.com