Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 NA pump on an Eco Diesel  (Read 2219 times)

March 27, 2019, 08:08:33 pm

VWtech346

1.6 NA pump on an Eco Diesel
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:08:33 pm »
Hey all,

Trying to help someone I work with out. He recently sent his pump off his eco diesel in to be rebuilt. To his dismay they said they had no way to rebuild it but they had a pump left off a 1.6 NA car and would send it to him for 500 bucks. So he agreed and they sent him the pump. The pump has been timed and the car runs but it will not go over 40mph and the car runs a little rough. Is there something we might be missing in doing this swap to a pump that did not come in the car. Any help will be useful.

Reply #1March 27, 2019, 08:25:58 pm

UncleDelicious

• User+

Re: 1.6 NA pump on an Eco Diesel
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 08:25:58 pm »
Have you primed the pump and bled the lines of any air?

I had the same problem with my 1.6 IDI. It wouldn't get above 40 no matter what I did until I was able to get the air out of the system.

You can use a MityVac to pull fuel through from the return side of the pump.

Loosen the 4 nuts at the fuel feed lines, pull the fuse for the glow plugs, and crank the starter until fuel comes out from the nuts.

Last resort: you can spray some (lightly) pressurized air through the return line to get fuel flowing through the system. You can pop the fuel tank though so I don't recommend this unless you really have to

Reply #2March 28, 2019, 12:42:43 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1.6 NA pump on an Eco Diesel
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 12:42:43 am »
If you indeed have all the air out of the system as mentioned by UncleD, then perhaps it is a problem of not enough fuel.  On the right hand side of the pump, above where the lines go out is a screw with a locknut on it. This is commonly referred to as the fuel screw.  Loosen the locknut and turn the screw in about a half a turn as the car is idling. 

Do you notice that it gains RPM?  Good, now adjust the idle back down some by loosening the locknut on the screw that the throttle lever is touching.  You have increased the amount of fuel going in at a given position of the throttle lever and need to back the lever off the screw stop to reduce idle RPM. 

Tighten the locknuts on both screws and give it a test drive.  Repeat process until you get some speed out of it or you start noticing a bunch of black smoke out the tailpipe.  At that point you have screwed around with it enough that you are wasting fuel and it is just plain silly to do that.  Back it off some if you want to have any amount of miles per gallon. 

You don't need to move that fuel screw much.  I said turn it in one half of a turn but on second and third turns it might be better to only go a quarter.  It is very sensitive and a little bit goes a long way on that one.

Other things might be need as well but start there and tell us what it does.  Having an old unknown pump working is a good thing but not knowing settings on it is sort of a problem.

I hope they sent his old pump back to him.  He could likely sell it and recoup some of the 500 he spent.  Seems a bit steep for an old IDI pump.  250 is more like it. 

S-PAutomotive.com