Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

Aaz build

(1/3) > >>

VolksWagr:
Hi everyone, to start off my name is Nathan and I am from southern Ontario, Canada. I am new here and relatively new to diesel modifications. I have lots of experience with turbo gassers (newer cars) but not a whole lot in this realm.  I am currently prepping my 81 rabbit diesel for an aaz swap. I have the aaz on the engine stand and am starting to dismantle to build it up.  The engine ran great when I pulled it and pulled strong.

I am aiming for 180hp and around 300 ft/lbs.  I am trying to get the engine ready to try and hit these numbers, and hopefully be reliable on this power.

I have been searching forums and online just trying to gather information on what is needed to run good power out of my aaz.

I have a k24 turbo off a 1.6td and have arp head studs I am getting ready to put in.

I am wondering what other engine mods I should be looking at for consistant and safe power.

I will be sending my pump and injectors to giles once the engine is prepped.  I also plan on changing the crank notch. And installing a front mount IC. 

What I am wondering is, i have read of people changing the valve cover, and Intake manifold.  I was planning on using a dremel on my stock aaz manifold to help increase flow.  Unsure if this is worth while or to just find a pd130 or pd150 I take manifold (If I remember correctly and read properly it should bolt on, correct me please if I am wrong)

I have also been attempting to find a block girdle, with no luck to date.  I want safe consistent power.  Should I also look at doing rods?
Aswell I have read something briefly about something about the #3 cap being an issue? Could someone please help clarify what this is referring to?  And if it is something I should be concerned about is there a fix/what would be the best approach?

I realize I am asking a lot of different questions in this, just trying to find answers, and possibly parts to lay down some power.

Thanks for everyones time.

libbydiesel:
I personally find the thought of 180hp and 300ft-lbs torque in a Mk1 to be ridiculous.  That amount of power is excessive for a Vanagon camper which weighs 2-3X as much as a mk1.  IMO, 100 hp is PLENTY in a Mk1 and a darn sight easier to do reliably. 

Anyway, if you really want to do those numbers, at this point I wouldn't choose an AAZ as a starting point.  All said and done it would be less expense and effort (even considering the custom mounts) to start with at least an ALH.  Easy to do mTDI if you want to avoid the electronics.  If you're stuck on those numbers and doing them with an AAZ, you should definitely plan on a block girdle and custom rods.  I still question how reliable it will be due to the pre-combustion chamber inserts and cracks on the combustion face of the head.  Good luck.

VolksWagr:
Most of what I do ends up being some form of ridiculous.  As it goes for those number I am not stuck on those numbers.  Just want to build it up for lots of power and reliability.  Hence why I am still looking for a girdle if someone has one available. 

I am also picking up a pd150 Intake manifold friday now.

My brother who I am building the engine with wants those numbers   I am fine if I am hitting 150 hp.

rabbid79:
I would think 120-130 HP from a 1.9 TD in a 1800-1900 lb. rabbit would be a lot of fun.  And it could be done reliably.  As was noted, the swirl chambers are the weak links on these IDI engines.

For the HP you're seeking, a TDI engine would be much more reliable because it has no swirl chambers.  Lots of people have tuned their 1.9 TDIs well past 200 HP with just a few simple bolt-ons.

You could probably build a dead-nuts-reliable 1.9 TDI with 200 HP and still go with a purely mechanical (mTDI) fuel injection pump, and ditch the electronics/headaches.  You also wouldn't have to play games with block girdles and whatnot because those engines are so stout.  A properly built mTDI pump will be your biggest expense because it's the heart of the diesel engine.  At the end of the day, the TDI would offer the best reliability, performance, and bang for your buck.  Plus there's literally 100 times more new/used/upgraded parts available for it.

The only other hurdle with the TDI would be your transmission gearing.  Obviously, you'd want to find the 020 will the tallest final drive you can get.  Piece of cake to swap trannys though.

RabbitJockey:
i'd agree tdi is a much better starting point.

but if you're going to use an aaz, i'd recommend ditching the k24, that is not capable of 180hp. Get atleast a 10mm pump head installed by giles to help add more fuel with less heat. Use a pd intake manifold, it doesn't really matter which one they're all similar. Use main and head studs for sure, also use rod studs if possible, stock aaz rods can not accept rod studs so you will need to use tdi rods, or aftermarket rods if you want to use rod studs. tdi and aftermarket rods may require clearancing. a good intercooler is an absolute must. He200wg, he221w, or he211 are all proven to be capable of producing 180hp

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version