Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Aaz build  (Read 5063 times)

March 05, 2019, 11:00:15 pm

VolksWagr

Aaz build
« on: March 05, 2019, 11:00:15 pm »
Hi everyone, to start off my name is Nathan and I am from southern Ontario, Canada. I am new here and relatively new to diesel modifications. I have lots of experience with turbo gassers (newer cars) but not a whole lot in this realm.  I am currently prepping my 81 rabbit diesel for an aaz swap. I have the aaz on the engine stand and am starting to dismantle to build it up.  The engine ran great when I pulled it and pulled strong.

I am aiming for 180hp and around 300 ft/lbs.  I am trying to get the engine ready to try and hit these numbers, and hopefully be reliable on this power.

I have been searching forums and online just trying to gather information on what is needed to run good power out of my aaz.

I have a k24 turbo off a 1.6td and have arp head studs I am getting ready to put in.

I am wondering what other engine mods I should be looking at for consistant and safe power.

I will be sending my pump and injectors to giles once the engine is prepped.  I also plan on changing the crank notch. And installing a front mount IC. 

What I am wondering is, i have read of people changing the valve cover, and Intake manifold.  I was planning on using a dremel on my stock aaz manifold to help increase flow.  Unsure if this is worth while or to just find a pd130 or pd150 I take manifold (If I remember correctly and read properly it should bolt on, correct me please if I am wrong)

I have also been attempting to find a block girdle, with no luck to date.  I want safe consistent power.  Should I also look at doing rods?
Aswell I have read something briefly about something about the #3 cap being an issue? Could someone please help clarify what this is referring to?  And if it is something I should be concerned about is there a fix/what would be the best approach?

I realize I am asking a lot of different questions in this, just trying to find answers, and possibly parts to lay down some power.

Thanks for everyones time.

Reply #1March 06, 2019, 08:01:52 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Aaz build
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:01:52 pm »
I personally find the thought of 180hp and 300ft-lbs torque in a Mk1 to be ridiculous.  That amount of power is excessive for a Vanagon camper which weighs 2-3X as much as a mk1.  IMO, 100 hp is PLENTY in a Mk1 and a darn sight easier to do reliably. 

Anyway, if you really want to do those numbers, at this point I wouldn't choose an AAZ as a starting point.  All said and done it would be less expense and effort (even considering the custom mounts) to start with at least an ALH.  Easy to do mTDI if you want to avoid the electronics.  If you're stuck on those numbers and doing them with an AAZ, you should definitely plan on a block girdle and custom rods.  I still question how reliable it will be due to the pre-combustion chamber inserts and cracks on the combustion face of the head.  Good luck.

Reply #2March 06, 2019, 10:18:11 pm

VolksWagr

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 10:18:11 pm »
Most of what I do ends up being some form of ridiculous.  As it goes for those number I am not stuck on those numbers.  Just want to build it up for lots of power and reliability.  Hence why I am still looking for a girdle if someone has one available. 

I am also picking up a pd150 Intake manifold friday now.

My brother who I am building the engine with wants those numbers   I am fine if I am hitting 150 hp.

Reply #3March 07, 2019, 02:00:58 am

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 02:00:58 am »
I would think 120-130 HP from a 1.9 TD in a 1800-1900 lb. rabbit would be a lot of fun.  And it could be done reliably.  As was noted, the swirl chambers are the weak links on these IDI engines.

For the HP you're seeking, a TDI engine would be much more reliable because it has no swirl chambers.  Lots of people have tuned their 1.9 TDIs well past 200 HP with just a few simple bolt-ons.

You could probably build a dead-nuts-reliable 1.9 TDI with 200 HP and still go with a purely mechanical (mTDI) fuel injection pump, and ditch the electronics/headaches.  You also wouldn't have to play games with block girdles and whatnot because those engines are so stout.  A properly built mTDI pump will be your biggest expense because it's the heart of the diesel engine.  At the end of the day, the TDI would offer the best reliability, performance, and bang for your buck.  Plus there's literally 100 times more new/used/upgraded parts available for it.

The only other hurdle with the TDI would be your transmission gearing.  Obviously, you'd want to find the 020 will the tallest final drive you can get.  Piece of cake to swap trannys though.
'15 WRX
Parts for 2.0 TD build - Now looking for suitable car to put it in.

Reply #4March 08, 2019, 08:11:11 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:11:11 am »
i'd agree tdi is a much better starting point.

but if you're going to use an aaz, i'd recommend ditching the k24, that is not capable of 180hp. Get atleast a 10mm pump head installed by giles to help add more fuel with less heat. Use a pd intake manifold, it doesn't really matter which one they're all similar. Use main and head studs for sure, also use rod studs if possible, stock aaz rods can not accept rod studs so you will need to use tdi rods, or aftermarket rods if you want to use rod studs. tdi and aftermarket rods may require clearancing. a good intercooler is an absolute must. He200wg, he221w, or he211 are all proven to be capable of producing 180hp
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #5March 08, 2019, 08:42:51 pm

VolksWagr

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 08:42:51 pm »
I will look into all of those for sure. I am actually picking up a pd150 I take manifold tonight, I did some research and found that the pd150 will be my best best, it shows a lot of gains in the cfm.  I did read that the brm has the highest cfm of the tdi manifolds, but the pd150 seems not far off of it.

The reason why I am going with the aaz is purely because I already have the engine pulled from the mk3 it was in and all the wiring harness and such.  (I am doing full wiring harness swap, dash and engine)

The engine ran very strong when I pulled it.  The k24 I am using simply because I already had one with the manifold and being a much larger turbo then the k14 it will allow a lot more power.

The last reason for aaz (it is a direct swap so I dont need to fiddle with buying a swap kit or anything.) Just axles place my motor mounts from the 1.6 on the block and away I go in a sense.

Reply #6March 08, 2019, 11:39:52 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 11:39:52 pm »
You already have an AAZ, so I can see why you'd want to use it.  I think people are just saying that your HP goals are a little bit lofty for it.  There was a guy on here many years ago who put down 200 HP with a 1.6 TD.  It was a pretty cool (and sooty) video, but I'm not sure how long that motor lasted.  You're shooting for less HP out of more displacement, which seems do-able, but I just don't think that head will last more than a couple thousand miles.  And when it goes, it's taking the rest of the engine with it.

As mentioned, your K24 won't make the kind of efficient boost you need.  It may boost to 30 PSI, but that air will be as hot as a blow torch.  The K24 doesn't have the same pressure ratios as the HE221W, etc.  One of those turbos can safely and efficiently produce 30 LBS of (relatively) cool boost.  They're really not much money either.  Something like $600 new.

I know you didn't ask for anyone to try to talk you into a TDI, but I really think if 180 HP is your goal, it's something to consider.  If you haven't already, check out car-part.com.  There should be dozens of cheap 1Z/AHU/ALH 1.9 TDIs on there.  And if you're going to have Giles do your pump and injectors anyway, you could pay to have him convert a 1.9 TDI pump to mechanical instead.  I know he has done it, though I don't know how much extra it costs.

Otherwise, I'm sure the AAZ in your lightweight Rabbit will still be a lot of fun, just probably not 180 HP worth of fun.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:26:52 pm by rabbid79 »
'15 WRX

Reply #7March 09, 2019, 03:43:22 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 03:43:22 pm »
You already have an AAZ, so I can see why you'd want to use it.  I think people are just saying that your HP goals are a little bit lofty for it.  There was a guy on here many years ago who put down 200 HP with a 1.6 TD.  It was a pretty cool (and sooty) video, but I'm not sure how long that motor lasted. 

I assume you're talking about the Passenger Performance build.  IIRC it was just shy of 200 hp.  Also, IIRC it lasted less than a week before dropping a pre-combustion chamber into the cylinder and self-destructing. 

Reply #8March 09, 2019, 10:28:38 pm

VolksWagr

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 10:28:38 pm »
I appreciate all the messages on this.  I do realize the tdi option is a great option and super easy to hit these numbers I want.  I also do have a mk4 TDI daily right now.  But I bought it as a money generator (purchased for 500 put some money into it and will sell to make profit)  I do this every winter for winter cars.

The k24 I have right now i plan on running around 18-20 psi.  I am going to utilize this turbo for the time being to have it drivable and throwing down power. As it goes for swapping it out later for a better turbo it definetely is an option.

The 180 is a goal for it, but was curious as to the supporting mods needed to make it there reliably.  From what I have been reading so far from everyone it looks like it would require more then what worthwhile.  Probably going to settle at the 150ish mark by the sounds of things.

I didn't mention it before,  but this is my "sensible" and I use that term loosely mk1.  I have a caddy that I am also building but its gasser and aiming for 500whp....I just havent touched that project in a while as I want this rabbit done first, then getting back to the caddy.

Reply #9March 12, 2019, 03:28:04 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 03:28:04 pm »
with the k24 you will probably land somewhere the 150hp range max
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #10March 12, 2019, 11:28:15 pm

rabbid79

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 11:28:15 pm »
You already have an AAZ, so I can see why you'd want to use it.  I think people are just saying that your HP goals are a little bit lofty for it.  There was a guy on here many years ago who put down 200 HP with a 1.6 TD.  It was a pretty cool (and sooty) video, but I'm not sure how long that motor lasted. 

I assume you're talking about the Passenger Performance build.  IIRC it was just shy of 200 hp.  Also, IIRC it lasted less than a week before dropping a pre-combustion chamber into the cylinder and self-destructing. 

Yes, that's the one.  Lots of smoke!
'15 WRX

Reply #11March 13, 2019, 11:31:11 pm

VolksWagr

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 11:31:11 pm »
I am good with that. It will probably bug my brother whom is helping me with the build but that's his problem lol

If I have more questions i will post up in here.  So far I have all of my questions pretty much answered for the time being.  Thanks for all the input.

Reply #12April 27, 2019, 04:48:32 pm

carrizog60

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 04:48:32 pm »
i have a 1.9 1y engine converted to turbo in my passat 35i.
i believe that if you drive normally and only do full power runs sometimes it will last.
i have done more than 200.000km in my engine without a problem.
ok,not 180hp but it moves the thing with ease,i believe its around 150hp and almost smoke free after spool up.
turbo is a vnt2052v, with no electronics controlling it. big front mount intercooler,60mm full exhaust,9mm 1.6gtd pump with some mods(lda pin grinded,different shims and spring on advance piston,fuel screw all in but still 750rpm idle  ;D ).

so i think its possible with the right size turbo and fuel pump to go with it.
just dont ride it like you stole it all the time and IF the engine is good it will last some time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:53:40 pm by carrizog60 »
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

S-PAutomotive.com