Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: HELP!! Replacing accelerator cable in a Golf MKIII RHD?!  (Read 5672 times)

February 12, 2019, 12:11:10 am

Torchd

• Veteran

HELP!! Replacing accelerator cable in a Golf MKIII RHD?!
« on: February 12, 2019, 12:11:10 am »
The accelerator cable on my golfs sticks at time and I am looking to replace it, I looked it up in the Haynes manual for the car but it does not seem to cover this job.

The cable enters the cabin from the left side of the car through the firewall, which means it is behind the A/C box. Do I have to remove the AC box to replace the cable? How do I go about carrying out this job?

Your help would be much appreciated!!

Reply #1February 13, 2019, 01:03:20 am

Torchd

• Veteran

Re: HELP!! Replacing accelerator cable in a Golf MKIII RHD?!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 01:03:20 am »
Gentlemen.... any one?!

Reply #2February 13, 2019, 10:48:25 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 10:48:25 am »
I've replaced a few accelerator cables, but never one on a RHD car.  Replacing the accelerator cable has always was always been self-explanatory once I got down and looked.  I doubt you have to remove anything other than the cable but that's just a guess. 

Reply #3February 14, 2019, 06:20:46 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 06:20:46 am »
Yes, changing cables is usually a straight forward job requiring a screw driver and a pair of pliers at the most but this one enters the cabin behind the evaporator box on the wrong side of the car. And theres hardly any space between the firewall and the ac box.

I did remove the dashboard and the ac box some 3 years ago but I never paid attention to how things were laid out or dont remember even if I did.
I will have another go at it and report!

Reply #4March 28, 2019, 07:47:16 am

Torchd

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 07:47:16 am »
The cable is replaced from the outside. Everything is done from the outside. Theres a cap and a rubber ring around the cap to keep the dust out. Both of them are removed by pressing and pulling out and then you can see the cable clipped into the pedal lever.