S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Oil pressure lost  (Read 3807 times)

Reply #15March 03, 2019, 02:43:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Oil pressure lost
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2019, 02:43:05 pm »
Well dang if it didn't do it again to me!  Thurs night crawling out of the back alley, about a minute or two of engine running with no higher revs than to turn the Alternator on. 

I did the same routine, turned out of the alley, and shut it down, and then a restart and all is fine.  I thought about how I have both of the devices that tell me I have oil pressure teed off from the head.  What if something is covering the small port on that head gallery?  Then indeed both devices, mechanical gauge and oil sender unit, are going to give the same result.  So I am hoping to move the mech gauge to another location and see what happens.  If both go out again I might think about pulling the oil filter off and getting another.  While I am at it I might flush the engine with some Seafoam or ATF.  Then change oil. 

This is so annoying. 

Reply #16March 17, 2019, 11:20:21 pm

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 11:20:21 pm »
Hey Coaster, did you ever get this sorted out?

Reply #17March 19, 2019, 12:02:47 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 12:02:47 am »
Not yet,  I have only a limited amount of time these days and without a garage or dry place to work I needed to chase down the problem of my brakes on the Caddy PU as I use it for most of my driving.  I need to haul tools and such to and from work.  So I am shooting to do the oil filter and stuff after this next round of rain rakes over us starting tomorrow evening or Weds. 

I really wonder if I have a blown filter and the paper parts are moving around in the system or something. I also did look around for a second oil filter flange I thought I had.  It had a place to take off a sending unit at the filter.  I did find it but not the gasket that is sort of technical that goes with it.  I think I will destroy the one on the engine if I go to replace the flange.  I could make one I guess out of that thin gasket material.  I think I have a large enough piece of that laying around here. 

Thanks for asking, but like most of us having three sets of wheels can keep us busier than need be. 

Reply #18March 19, 2019, 08:28:54 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 08:28:54 am »
Hope it turns out to be something simple.  Have picked up a couple of used oil pressure senders before but never kept them because they had readings that were to low or just plain dead.  Not sure how they can wear out and if you have the wiring for the oil light separate it is just a head scratch-er.

Reply #19March 22, 2019, 10:30:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 10:30:55 pm »
Well ladies and gentlemen, I found the time to swap the sending units from the head and change oil and filter.  I retained the VW sender in the head as I believe it was designed that way for a reason.  Then I changed the oil filter flange to one of those styles that have the take off ports on top.  I put my mechanical gauge on there. 

I looked real hard at the oil as it flowed out of the oil pan, expecting gobs of something to come oozing out or even plugging the hole.  Well NADA, It was warmed up a bit and I never noticed anything that would resemble part of the filter.  I thought it had blown up in some way.  I didn't cut it open to see if there was a problem with it.  I didn't care to make a nasty mess with my cut off tool and didn't have the time to just cut it with a saw. 

So what was the problem?  I wish I could tell you.  If it does it again at least I will be able to see if there is pressure lacking at the pump or just at the top of the engine.  But honestly, I just want it to never do that again. 

I did throw in some ATF fluid for a couple of days worth of short in town driving.  I was looking for it to clean up some of the passages or take the crud out of the system.  I put about 16 oz of Lucas oil treatment in with the change over this time hoping that will provide more lubrication should the pump crap out on me and I can't pull over right now.

Will post again if I have to. 

Reply #20April 23, 2019, 08:06:42 pm

benniecem

Oil pressure lost
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 08:06:42 pm »
So my oil pressure gauge jumps up when i accelerate. Im thinking it might be the oil pressure sensor but Im not to sure? Its been like this since i bought the car last year and i dont hear any knockin noises witch is a good thing.ahaha. But if anyone has any input that would be great. Thanks-jb