S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: replace dashboard vw golf mk1  (Read 4664 times)

December 26, 2018, 05:27:40 am

sabatino

• User+

replace dashboard vw golf mk1
« on: December 26, 2018, 05:27:40 am »

Hello everyone, I want your opinion expert: can you replace the dashboard of golf mk1 with golf mk2?
if not, do I have to disassemble my dashboard mk1 do you have guides?
Thank you all

Reply #1December 26, 2018, 07:10:23 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: replace dashboard vw golf mk1
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:10:23 pm »
I have seen that upgrade and it does work.  Given that the MK1 is held on by those four screws, two at each side by the wing windows and little else I think once you pop the cover caps off you have it in hand.  Been a couple of years since I reassembled the Caddy. 

You will want to disconnect the ends of the heater controls from the ends that are being controlled rather than popping the clips on the head unit that goes in the dash.  That would be the one under the hood that gives you hot water, then the two under the dash that do the defroster and heater doors.  I say that because it is a real pain to try and get the end on the head unit in the limited space provided once the dash is on.  Bentley manual suggests it as well.  I just didn't think there would be such pain in doing it the other way and the PO had them disconnect when I bought it. 

The speedometer cable and big plug in the back of the console will need to come off as well as other wires for headlights, ignition and radio.  You might have a glove or jocky box light as well.  Search around while standing on your head in the footwell.  Not such a nice work area but once you get it all off there might still be some bolts that hold it at the bottom to the firewall.  Like I said been too long for the memory bank to be picking up details. 

Reply #2January 01, 2019, 04:45:30 am

sabatino

• User+

Re: replace dashboard vw golf mk1
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:45:30 am »
ok thanks for the guide, but mk2 dashboard can not 'go to mk1?

Happy New Year to all

S-PAutomotive.com