S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: mTDI boost controller  (Read 4276 times)

December 08, 2018, 05:36:30 pm

Jsstr8

mTDI boost controller
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:36:30 pm »
I’m building an mTDI to put into my ‘82 Westy Vanagon. I’m in the final stages after years of blood, sweat, and tears (and lots of money). However I am new to turbos and want to make sure that I plumb mine in the appropriate manner. I have read, but cannot find a definitive answer anywhere.

My GT2052 is currently plumbed from the housing side to the wastegate. I have read that many people put a manual boost gauge in between this connection. I have also read that it is better the plumb the wastegate off the intake manifold (especially if you are using an intercooler which I am). My IP also has a pressure nipple on it. I’m assuming to increase fuel in line with increased air.

Taking all this into account, I think I need to run a line off the intake manifold to a manual boost controller. From the boost controller, I need to tee the fitting running one hose to the wastegate and the other to the IP. Is this correct?

I may also want to run a boost gauge. Can I hook this up to the turbine side of the turbo that I am no longer using or do I need to plug that connection and tee of the boost controller 3 times?

Reply #1December 08, 2018, 09:12:10 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: mTDI boost controller
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 09:12:10 pm »
aking all this into account, I think I need to run a line off the intake manifold to a manual boost controller. From the boost controller, I need to tee the fitting running one hose to the wastegate and the other to the IP. Is this correct?

That's almost correct, but not quite.  You should not have the manual boost controller inline to the injection pump, just inline to the wastegate.  You should run it intake manifold -> tee -> injection pump + MBC -> wastegate.   

Reply #2December 08, 2018, 09:21:19 pm

Jsstr8

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 09:21:19 pm »
Thanks Libby!

What about the nipple coming out of the turbine? Plug it?

And where would a boost gauge fit in the equation? Probably best off the intake manifold? Or would the unused turbine outlet be a good enough location for it? 

Reply #3December 10, 2018, 11:00:39 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 11:00:39 am »
Just plug the fitting on the compressor.  Run off the intake for the boost gauge also.  You'll either need two tees or a cross.  Run intake to the pump, intake to boost gauge, intake to MBC, MBC to wastegate.

Reply #4April 26, 2019, 09:15:35 am

benniecem

mTDI boost controller
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 09:15:35 am »
My last bug bear in my 5l transplant is swopping the boost controller from the 2lt mechanical injection pump to the 5l injection pump...Ive been