Engine Specific Info and Questions > mTDI Mechanical TDI Conversions

mTDI boost controller

(1/1)

Jsstr8:
I’m building an mTDI to put into my ‘82 Westy Vanagon. I’m in the final stages after years of blood, sweat, and tears (and lots of money). However I am new to turbos and want to make sure that I plumb mine in the appropriate manner. I have read, but cannot find a definitive answer anywhere.

My GT2052 is currently plumbed from the housing side to the wastegate. I have read that many people put a manual boost gauge in between this connection. I have also read that it is better the plumb the wastegate off the intake manifold (especially if you are using an intercooler which I am). My IP also has a pressure nipple on it. I’m assuming to increase fuel in line with increased air.

Taking all this into account, I think I need to run a line off the intake manifold to a manual boost controller. From the boost controller, I need to tee the fitting running one hose to the wastegate and the other to the IP. Is this correct?

I may also want to run a boost gauge. Can I hook this up to the turbine side of the turbo that I am no longer using or do I need to plug that connection and tee of the boost controller 3 times?

libbydiesel:

--- Quote from: Jsstr8 on December 08, 2018, 05:36:30 pm ---aking all this into account, I think I need to run a line off the intake manifold to a manual boost controller. From the boost controller, I need to tee the fitting running one hose to the wastegate and the other to the IP. Is this correct?
--- End quote ---

That's almost correct, but not quite.  You should not have the manual boost controller inline to the injection pump, just inline to the wastegate.  You should run it intake manifold -> tee -> injection pump + MBC -> wastegate.   

Jsstr8:
Thanks Libby!

What about the nipple coming out of the turbine? Plug it?

And where would a boost gauge fit in the equation? Probably best off the intake manifold? Or would the unused turbine outlet be a good enough location for it? 

libbydiesel:
Just plug the fitting on the compressor.  Run off the intake for the boost gauge also.  You'll either need two tees or a cross.  Run intake to the pump, intake to boost gauge, intake to MBC, MBC to wastegate.

benniecem:
My last bug bear in my 5l transplant is swopping the boost controller from the 2lt mechanical injection pump to the 5l injection pump...Ive been

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version