Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Bought a Caddy  (Read 4004 times)

December 06, 2018, 03:07:47 pm

Tuepker02

Bought a Caddy
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
New to VW with some knowledge on vehicles. Just got an 81 Caddy 1.6 and having my first problem. When I got the car it would turn over fine, could turn it off and it would turn over again. Next day go to start it and nothing(battery is not dead but no click or anything when went to turn it over), so hooked up some jumpers, and jumped the starter with a ratchet and got it going, let it sit for a while turned it off and wouldn't start again. Went to jump the next day again because I like to start tinkering at dusk, anyway starter just whines and wouldn't catch. Solenoid or do these having something in the ignition that tells it to catch? 

Reply #1December 06, 2018, 08:06:15 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Bought a Caddy
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:06:15 pm »
Totally engaged with the solenoid.  If you are just starting it with Jumpers that tells me I could be a dirty starter problem and possibly bad contact connection.  It is so easy to remove the starter that I would just pull it and service it.  Clean the contacts at the terminals and on the battery.  All should be well. 

Reply #2December 07, 2018, 03:00:02 pm

Tuepker02

Re: Bought a Caddy
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 03:00:02 pm »
Totally engaged with the solenoid.  If you are just starting it with Jumpers that tells me I could be a dirty starter problem and possibly bad contact connection.  It is so easy to remove the starter that I would just pull it and service it.  Clean the contacts at the terminals and on the battery.  All should be well. 

I did take the starter out yesterday going to go get it tested in less than half an hour, gonna throw a new battery in and I got extra terminals ill probably throw on too,will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

Fixmyvw.com