Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 86 1.6TD K24 turbo broken wastegate valve  (Read 1982 times)

November 25, 2018, 02:32:12 pm

Bill

86 1.6TD K24 turbo broken wastegate valve
« on: November 25, 2018, 02:32:12 pm »
I have an 86 Jetta TD that I'm in the process of resurrecting. The paint is shot but the rest of the car is solid.
I am working my way through the mechanics currently, performing maintenance and replacing worn/deteriorated parts.

One problem when I bought the car was that the turbo was not developing any boost. I checked all the obvious things.
No leaks on the compressor side, blow off valve holding pressure, etc. So I pulled the turbo and removed the wastegate.
The good news is there is no pitting on the valve or seat and the valve was indeed stuck open. The bad news is I broke the valve when removing wastegate. :-[  I had read Jakes K24 rebuild in the FAQ section and thought I was being careful when removing....but obviously not careful enough. Arrgh!!!

I have found new wastegate assemblies on ebay and other places but the valve diameter is 23mm, mine is 31mm.
If anyone can direct me to a vendor that has the correct size valve or shed some light on other turbos that may have used this wastegate it would be very much appreciated. I have done quite a bit of searching but have come up empty thus far.