Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I need some clarification on a clutch upgrade for an AAZ in a 97 Jetta  (Read 4822 times)

November 13, 2018, 11:59:19 pm

kfx

Hello everyone, long time lurker who apparently had an old account. I've been out of the TD game for a while but need to get my Jetta with an AAZ and 020 trans. back on the road, hopefully quickly as well.

It's had a turbo swap to a T3, 1.6L fuel pin (aaz spring still, for now) and the pump adjusted to make some more power; though no EGT yet so fairly conservative. It's done about 3000 km like this already and was great until a minor pinhole fuel leak after my brother did glow plugs spewed fuel all over the transmission for about 1100 km back from Alberta, causing some significant clutch slipping around the half way point. Made it home alright, solved the leak, but a few days later and it was slipping worse and worse until it stopped with a bang a couple blocks from home and the clutch pedal is floppin' around. With how loud it was, I'm probably looking at all kinds of broken bits once I pop the case off -it does still drive if I start it in gear and rev match to shift though.

I know it's going to need to hold more power than stock but I haven't determined what exactly I need to order to get it done right. I've read a lot of posts on here, mtd.net and the vortex. I've determined I need a "16v" pressure plate, but not being too familiar with the gasser's, what does that even mean? Is that the 2.0 or the 1.8? Some guys say you can get away with the VR6 stuff but I thought that was a hydraulic setup and a different transmission? I then see posts about guys using 8v parts. It's getting a little confusing, and some of it seems to contradict one another -at least I think, haha.

I did happen across a post where a guy running an AHU stated he's using a LUK kit (LUK 17034 RepSet®) that Rockauto claims is also the one for the car I have -though there's ambiguity there too since the American flag is beside it, and an Exedy kit that has a Canadian flag beside it, and another Valeo kit with a Canadian flag with a kit that has a pressure plate that looks totally different than the ones seen in the Exedy or LUK kits. I know the US market didn't get the AAZ at all, but as far as I know the AHU didn't show up there until 1998 anyways? Then I've heard that some LUK kits will hold more than Sachs kits, but southbend is the way to go though they only seem to offer kits for the AHU.... Yeah.

Figure while I'm talking everyone's eyeballs off here, I may as well ask where to source a manually adjusted clutch cable in Canada too to rule out the auto adjuster ever being a problem for me too. I just want some semi-straight forward answers on what combination of stuff to pick up from rockauto (or somewhere else that ships to Canada reasonably) to try and get this thing rollin' by December! Any clarification or help.. or anything haha would be appreciated :D

Reply #1April 02, 2020, 05:23:57 pm

Seanaaz

Have any luck? I have the exact same question. Doing a Giles pump aaz swap looking to make some more power and don’t wanna risk a clutch slipping with all that torque!