Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.9 TD running rough  (Read 3435 times)

October 29, 2018, 12:30:11 pm

arniks8

1.9 TD running rough
« on: October 29, 2018, 12:30:11 pm »
Hello, I received a 1.9TD block+head for free in summer (It was running before it got stripped and given to me). Few weeks back I decided to try and make a working motor just to spend my free time   ;D. I gathered 1.6 stuff laying around home and assembled it. So it has 1.6 garrett t3 with 1.6 exhaust manifold, intake manifold and pump, injectors are from 1.9, but I can put in 1.6 injectors. So the thing is that it runs but very poorly (video below), It also takes some time to start but it could be due to low air temperature (about 2 degrees Celsius). I got suggested to tinker with pump timing, but it didn't do much, mostly helped with starting but that's about it. There is lots of bubbles in fuel return line but could it make engine run this bad? Engine and turbo also get hot pretty fast it went from cold to warm in like 15 seconds  ;D( I know there is no cooling, but that seems waaay to fast). Any suggestions are welcome

Video of engine running here youtube.com/watch?v=jXxEMf8kLqg

Reply #1October 29, 2018, 10:57:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 1.9 TD running rough
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:57:41 pm »
Start with finding where the leak is letting air into the fuel system.  You can't do much without solving that problem first.

Check the timing for setting of about 98 mm to start.  That should give you plenty of easy start in colder weather,  Make sure that cold start lever is all the way down on the cam, not pointing up.  Huge difference in initial timing if it is pointed up. 

How much fuel are you pouring in with the fuel screw?  Is it turned in and bottomed out?  Can you get a temp gauge on the EGT/s?  Playing with fuel and temps without a means to measure might lead to damage.  Free head or not, you don't need to mess it up.

Reply #2October 30, 2018, 03:35:09 pm

arniks8

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 03:35:09 pm »
Ok, I'll try that.

I don't have a gauge for setting timing.

The fuel screw is turned in a bit, but it's not bottomed out, I have the setting that was set for 1.6. I don't have a gauge to check EGT either  ;D

Reply #3February 01, 2019, 05:14:14 pm

keycle

1 9 TD running rough
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:14:14 pm »
Thanks for the advice I did a compression test and she came out great,not even 10 difference between the two.She seems to be running perfect now that I took off the mag,it was a timing problem.Thanks again.

Reply #4March 08, 2019, 10:57:32 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 10:57:32 pm »
 No air going into the pump but air coming from the pump usually means a bad mainshaft seal.
 That will make it run rough.

Curious,.. if you grab the crank pully, is it loose?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 10:59:08 pm by fatmobile »
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block