Author Topic: Relocating the power steering pump.......how to?  (Read 1423 times)

November 12, 2018, 02:14:01 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

Relocating the power steering pump.......how to?
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:14:01 pm »

Guys,
 Anyone relocated the oem vw power steering pump higher up on the engine, or perhaps below the turbo somewhere?
 This is a 1.9td.

In stock location.....the vw PS pump pulley sits low on the engine, lower than the crank pulley. This is interfering with my samurai diesel swap and choice of steering pox / pitman arm that I'm using. The drag link is just below the PS pump pulley, and will hit with suspension compression. I need to move the pump. Any one done this? If so, how? Where to?

Thank you.

Reply #1November 16, 2018, 11:20:15 am

Buji88

• User+

Re: Relocating the power steering pump.......how to?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 11:20:15 am »
I hit the same problem. What I ended up doing was removed all the serp/ac stuff (using the acme GM alt bracket on the other side of the block.) Then I took plate to make a base on the lower water pump housing and cut off the factory VW adjustment bracket and welded it to the end. Then I made a top hanger off the upper serp bolts (under the injection pump.) I then hung the factory Jetta power steering pump here with the factory hose, this set up allows the belt to be the tensioner on the water pump like the factory set up. Works good so far, haven't driven it yet except for short blasts down a road seems to work good plenty of pressure and no tie rod issues.

If if I was going to re-do it (which I won't right now) I would make my plate on the lower pump housing smaller, and possibly If I had the engine out again make it all one piece. But it's in a super awkward position to work on while it's in the truck.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 11:24:55 am by Buji88 »

Fixmyvw.com