Author Topic: Radio issue in a mk 4 jetta??  (Read 2835 times)

October 27, 2018, 05:33:10 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Radio issue in a mk 4 jetta??
« on: October 27, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »
New to me 2002 diesel car. Radio has both cassette and cd players... Anyway I have a problem with the radio. Worked on test drive. Picked the car up today from the safety check, radio worked for a few minutes then white noise like the station quit broadcasting. Tries a few other stations, nothing but white noise like the antenna wire fell out.
Next time I get in the car, radio working again... for 10 or 15 seconds then more of the same. Anyone run across this before?  And is there an easy way to get to the back of the radio? I'm used to mk2 cars.

Reply #1October 28, 2018, 06:26:58 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Re: Radio issue in a mk 4 jetta??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 06:26:58 pm »
BTW, the CD player works fine, issue is just with the radio. How does it come out of the dash? Maybe it's just a bad connection to the antenna

Reply #2December 21, 2018, 11:48:06 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
Re: Radio issue in a mk 4 jetta??
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:48:06 am »
If the Mk4 is like the Seat Leon, you might have the complication of the powered aerial. There is an amplifier hiding in the black bit of it that bolts to the car roof.

To power it, live +12v is sent up the center of the coaxial cable, the aerial picks up radio signal, the amplifier boosts the signal and sends it down the center of the coaxial back to the radio.

The standard radio stuffs 12v dc into the aerial socket so it can travel up to the aerial amp, but  has a capacitor on the radio side to allow the ac signal through, blocking the 12v dc from blowing itself up.

Er.........but why? Dunno, it's German, they just won't accept simple. ::)

Amplifier gets damp, goes wrong.
People put in a different radio, not aware of the powered set up, etc, etc,

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 11:59:34 am by smutts »

Fixmyvw.com