Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Irritating oil leak...  (Read 4822 times)

October 08, 2018, 05:46:34 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Irritating oil leak...
« on: October 08, 2018, 05:46:34 pm »
AAZ in my Porsche, high mileage engine that always ran well. Oil at the front of the engine. Some on the turbo, and running down the block. Pulled the turbo and checked all connections on the drain line I modified to hook the T3 to the AAZ. Suspected the valve cover gasket so I changed that too. Did an oil change while I was at it and took the car out for a drive. Wet all down the front of the engine.
Camshaft seal maybe??? Not happy. Don't think I can change the seal without pulling the engine, not enough room. 
Any suggestions for something I'm missing??

Reply #1October 08, 2018, 10:35:08 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Irritating oil leak...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:08 pm »
In a case like that I would be spraying some engine degreaser on that engine and cleaning it up.  Then letting the bugger idle for about 10 mins.  Inspect with a bright light and an mirror if need be.  Then IF nothing is showing itself to be dripping from the cover or seals, I would try revving it up some and see if the turbo seals are holding at boost.

Otherwise it will be a mess forever. 

Reply #2October 09, 2018, 05:42:42 am

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:42 am »
Engine is clean, oil is coming down the head on the right side at the timing  cover...

Reply #3October 09, 2018, 07:26:19 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 07:26:19 pm »
Pulled the timing cover off after work, belt and pulley dry. Pulled the valve cover back off, gasket twisted right at the corner where it turns up to go over the cam. Put another gasket in, no more leak.

Reply #4October 09, 2018, 10:52:12 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:52:12 pm »
If only all our troubles could be solved so simply.  Glad you got it.  I have an IP leak that is driving me crazy.  Just going to put little bits of paper towel on it here and there and see which ones get wet and where.

Reply #5October 10, 2018, 08:36:21 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:36:21 pm »
Good luck with that! Only injection pump leak I've had was the seal on the input shaft. Happened to me twice on 2 different AAZ motors. Hard start problem that was the reason I bought the second one. Easy fix once I figured it out!

Reply #6May 18, 2019, 09:13:31 pm

GypsyR

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 09:13:31 pm »
I once had a daisy chain of leaks on my IP. Front seal then the big o-ring at the rear. Then down where the advance lever is. I got pretty sick of pulling and replacing the IP there for a while.

One neat way to find the exact source of a leak is to use talc. Degrease and wash and DRY the leak's general area. Then spread talc powder all over. I prefer to use "foot" spray in a can. Some folks just "poof" baby powder all over. Either way. Then do whatever makes it leak for a few minutes. The spray type sticks a LOT better if you need to get up the freeway speed to make it leak. Inspect. Whatever is leaking will have left a big obvious black trail through your pretty white powder. Leading you exactly to the source. Grab a water hose and simply rinse the powder away.

Reply #7May 18, 2019, 10:19:52 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 10:19:52 pm »
Brilliant in the simplicity of it all. 

And no more fungus or it smells like a baby for awhile.

Fixmyvw.com