Author Topic: MK4 GP`s....near the end of my rope!  (Read 2536 times)

March 10, 2019, 09:08:23 pm

Faztco

MK4 GP`s....near the end of my rope!
« on: March 10, 2019, 09:08:23 pm »
 Gentlemen: I have spent DAYS on the net trying to figure this out, here goes: 2001 ALH Golf. Just completed full Rebuild of ALH + 6 speed conversion. Malone stage 3 tune, Colt Stage 3,Ported, studded,Rods,3" ss exhaust, PD goodies, FMIC, etc... and now I have a problem... actually two but this one first:Error Code P0380. The Engine runs good....when I can get it to start. VCDS Timing upper end of advance on the graph, IP set at 5.  Its cold here in the Okanagan now, about zero degrees. Problem is: I cant get the Glow plugs to power up - at all ( It just Blips on my Telemetry LED ). NEW: GP`s+ harness ( 4 wire),ECU pin #88 checked for power and there is 12v when key on.All grounds cleaned + wires checked. NEW Fuses, Relay #100, New Optima Battery, and also new GP controller. I have tried EVERYTHING others found wrong with their car with no luck including trying a 2nd stock unmodified ECU - with no change. I have VCDS and I coded for extra GP time... does nothing. I wired in 4 LED`s for Telemetry so I can see Real time when the Glow plugs are actually receiving Power.
 Heres a hint that one of you Pro`s might see what I dont. With the 4 wire GP system - GP controller unplugged: Key on , there is 12V power at Pin 87 , D1 , ST , and 30.  Key off there is only power at pin 30. From what I had Read the Glow plug controller should be getting a 5V pulsed signal , not 12v like I am measuring at the GP controller plug. Also this car was an Automatic previously to all my conversion. Could I have a wire going to the wrong place during the wiring Mods ?. I really appreciate any input, Thank you....Mike
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 04:22:03 pm by Faztco »

Reply #1July 04, 2019, 01:48:12 pm

Faztco

Re: MK4 GP`s....near the end of my rope!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:48:12 pm »
So... here we are, Can`t find the answer to my Glow plug issue so I went ahead installed a Guarded switch with two #53 relays ( redundancy) , fused - straight to the Glowplugs. Now I can control them..... Yes, I`m a happy camper.