Author Topic: Fuel Shut-Off Didn't Fix It..Now What?  (Read 3621 times)

May 04, 2019, 08:51:25 pm

72malibu

Fuel Shut-Off Didn't Fix It..Now What?
« on: May 04, 2019, 08:51:25 pm »
1984 Rabbit with 1.9n/a. It had died on me 3 times in last few weeks. Each time, when I hit the key it would start for just a second then die again. Finally after a few tries it will start and go on like nothing ever happened.

I replaced the fuel shut-off solenoid today.

Had an errand to run, so took the rabbit. It died on me twice and started at the second bump of the key. Evidently, NOT the solenoid shut-off. I'm thinking bad connection for solenoid, or maybe the key switch? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help.

Reply #1May 04, 2019, 11:04:27 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Fuel Shut-Off Didn't Fix It..Now What?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 11:04:27 pm »
I would be leaning towards poor connections at the key.  You could temporarily wire a direct connection from the battery to a fused wire and switch that you could have in the cab.  That should rule out any poor connections to the solenoid. 
Chase down the big connector behind the switch.  Sometimes the individual wires back out of their respective holders.  A tiny screwdriver, flat blade will push them back in.  Unless they are melted. 

Reply #2May 05, 2019, 12:27:53 am

72malibu

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 12:27:53 am »
Appreciate that. I'll look at that particular connection.

Reply #3May 05, 2019, 03:01:31 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 03:01:31 am »
Ya, I would say you need that new nylon block with the connections in it. They run quite hot/warm and they age.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #4May 06, 2019, 04:42:58 pm

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 04:42:58 pm »
 I've seen where the stop solenoid only has power when you turn the key on,
 as soon as I hit the starter the solenoid had no juice,.. even after letting off the starter.
 I replaced the switch and fixed it.
 The MK2s had a blade on the pump, so you can just plug the wire onto it.
 On the MK1s the wire is bolted on.
 All my Rabbits have the blade upgrade,.. usually a blade from an old headlight ground down a little where the connector slides on because headlights use a wider connector.
 This way you can carry a wire with a plug and clip it directly to the battery, if it fails to start again.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #5May 09, 2019, 07:58:10 pm

72malibu

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 07:58:10 pm »
Alright. Had Rat parked till I had some time to fiddle with it. Had to move it and realized when I turned key on, dash lit up and when out. As soon as I touched the key, dash lit up. Found my problem. Bad ignition switch.

I'm  not intimidated by electrical. It's my profession (though MUCH higher vltg), and I'm rewiring my Chevelle. Thinking very seriously of just rewiring the whole Rat. I thinks I'll get the Chevelle done first though. 🤑

Anyway to disengage steering wheel lock permanently if I just by-pass the keyed ignition on the column?

S-PAutomotive.com