Author Topic: VE pump and gov shaft / throttle lever alignment  (Read 2259 times)

October 05, 2018, 07:40:24 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

VE pump and gov shaft / throttle lever alignment
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:40:24 pm »

A while back I re-sealed a ve pump from an aaz engine. Clean, strip, and re seal, reassembly.

It all went ok, except for a possible alignment issue with the throttle lever and the gov shaft. For some unknown reason, I didn't mark the throttle lever to gov shaft before I disassembled. Upon reassembly, and trying the pump on the engine, I had the throttle shaft way off the mark. The engine started and went to like.......3000 rpm in a blink of an eye.

Take two.....  I pulled the pump off, removed the throttle lever springs, tried rotating the lever a notch or two back from where it was [ i don't recall exactly how many notches ] reassembled, put the pump back on the engine, and started it up. This time, it was still too fast, but didn't hit 3000 lol.

Take three......do the same....back the throttle lever off a little more, reassemble, reinstall, start engine. This time it ran, with rpm's more like 1500 or so as a guess.

Fast forward 4 years....... finally installed the engine into my samurai. Now, I'm trying to tune the pump and get the idle speed down. With the Max idle speed screw, Min idle speed screw, residual fuel screw all backed out so the screw tips are not touching any cams, levers, etc....the engine idles at 1560 rpm. Tried adjusting the idle speed screw out.....but am afraid the rod will just unscrew out from the threads in the base.....a nightmare to reassemble with the pump on the engine.....already had it happen once. Also, the cold start cable is all of the way in, and there is no timing advance happening at the cam / lever down on the side of the pump where the cold start cable goes to. I made sure of this, so I know it's not timing advance causing this fast idle.

I'm thinking I still have the throttle lever in the wrong orientation, on the gov shaft splines. Thinking of pulling it off and replacing it......but how many notches of spline to move it this time?
 Is there a proper way to get the two parts back in proper alignment? Like....turn the gov shaft until it comes to a stop, then install the throttle lever? Or....is that too far? What happens to the pump / engine running? if I go too far the other way with rotating the lever on the splines? If I just do one spline at a time, I could be doing this another 6 times or more. 

Thanks.

Reply #1October 05, 2018, 07:41:56 pm

Spokerider

• Junior

Re: VE pump and gov shaft / throttle lever alignment
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 07:41:56 pm »
My pump.
 Those throttle lever springs are a major PITA to re and re.

Reply #2October 10, 2018, 04:19:48 pm

carrizog60

• Veteran

Re: VE pump and gov shaft / throttle lever alignment
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 04:19:48 pm »
no need to remove pump...
grab a wire,make a loop and with some pliers pull the spring out with it.
remove the 10mm nut on top of accel and with the engine running rotate it until is the right spot.
shut off engine,torque the nut and pull the spring back again.

as for the rod that is hard to screw... put one hand below the pump and hold it in place with one finger.way easy now that i do all this...
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

S-PAutomotive.com