Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Old 1.6 TD Which parts within head to replace?  (Read 2795 times)

September 12, 2018, 09:10:55 pm

soma56

• Personal Text
    WVO is FREE...
Old 1.6 TD Which parts within head to replace?
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:10:55 pm »
I've a old mk2 1.6 TD. I have to replace the valve stems and seals. If you were rebuilding a head what other parts would you replace and where would you get them? I'm located in Canada.

Reply #1September 13, 2018, 01:46:56 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: Old 1.6 TD Which parts within head to replace?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:46:56 am »
I would buff the pre-combustion chamber inserts to a shine and replace any with any of the common small cracks.  The inserts are hard to find but I got some new ones from the UK a few years ago.   

I would replace the valve guides, valves, and valve stem seals. 

I would ream the guides and hand-lap the valves to the seats.  I would hand-lap the head gasket surface.   

Reply #2September 13, 2018, 11:25:17 am

soma56

• Personal Text
    WVO is FREE...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:25:17 am »
Thanks.

Anyone aware of an any online tutorials on replacing the valve stems, seals, etc. for a 1.6? I can't seem to find any. While I trust it's in the old Bentley manual sometimes videos/write-ups offer some unique, inside perspective.

Reply #3September 13, 2018, 11:24:10 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:10 pm »
There are some things that take special equipment and you generally can't do it at home.  Those with a big press can but I don't so I have to have the machine shop press in the valve guides and then they can do the valves and valve seals.  I have them do the deck anyway so it is just a bit more to set it up right.  I have lots of tools but some I lack and will never have room for.  Pay the shop.

Reply #4September 14, 2018, 12:13:19 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 12:13:19 am »
I got the 7mm and 8mm drivers for valve guides and use an air hammer.  You can also get the hand version to either hammer or use with a press.  In either case, guides are easy to press out/in.  The reamers are a bit expensive, but also easy to do.  I don't have seat cutting capability but the seats are usually totally fine and a light hand-lapping cleans up the valve/seat sealing surface really nicely.  I think it was probably less expensive for the first head I redid even counting the tool purchases.  Now it is only parts and time and it is all stuff I enjoy doing. 

Reply #5September 14, 2018, 10:57:03 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 10:57:03 pm »
If I had a small business of rebuilding/restoring VW's like I once thought about I would grab said tools you mention and build a garage.  I have been trying to sell a very nice Rabbit for the last several months and I haven't heard a real interested person wanting to look at it yet.  No one wants to be tied to an old car these days.  So I am keeping it for now even though I don't need it anymore.  So my idea of keeping the older cars on the road and running well sort of went out the window for now. 

Reply #6September 18, 2018, 05:23:12 pm

soma56

• Personal Text
    WVO is FREE...
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 05:23:12 pm »
Thank you for the responses. It's appreciated.