Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Weird air issue on 1.6  (Read 1459 times)

September 04, 2018, 12:58:38 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

Weird air issue on 1.6
« on: September 04, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »
So Ive been battling a rough running engine for the past 6 months. I replaced the injectors and headgasket only to find the rough running was back after a few hundred miles. I noticed a bit of diesel weeping out of the union on the delivery valves. Not a drip but definitely weeping out. I tried damn near everything to get the lines to seal. No dice... So after finding out the 1.6 hard injector lines for the 1990-1992 years are NLA I swapped my delivery valves for shorter ones and put hardlines on from an 84 caddy. This appears to have corrected the problem. My theory is that a minute amount of air was being sucked in through the hardlines when the valve in the delivery valves snapped shut after injecting the fuel on that cylinder. Any other ideas? Im just happy this is fixed... for now 

Reply #1September 04, 2018, 07:50:50 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Weird air issue on 1.6
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 07:50:50 pm »
Probably just a bad seal letting the pressure become less more so than letting air in.  That fuel is pumped up to a pretty high PSI.  A little less and perhaps it wasn't doing a good job of popping the injector?