Author Topic: 92 EcoDiesel horn dead spot w wheel straight ahead  (Read 3582 times)

August 26, 2018, 03:06:58 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

92 EcoDiesel horn dead spot w wheel straight ahead
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:06:58 pm »
Hey everybody, I haven't visited this forum for a long time! mainly because I have had zero issues with my dependable daily driver 92 EcoDiesel, until a month or 2 ago.

I have a dead spot in the horn in the center position of the steering wheel. I use the horn circuit to supply power to a charger to charge my phone which is mounted on the steering wheel's flat spot.  The power goes on and off intermittently while I am driving because of this dead spot, which cause the phone to beep as the power comes and goes- very annoying and the phone does not get fully charged.

Per the Bently, the horn button receives voltage through terminal 71 of the turn signal switch. There must be a slip ring in the steering wheel somewhere but the Bently do not mention it.  I have not tore into it yet and don't want to break anything. That's why I am asking for help. Has anyone had a similar problem? What do I need to disassemble to get to the source of the intermittent horn circuit?

Reply #1August 26, 2018, 09:56:06 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: 92 EcoDiesel horn dead spot w wheel straight ahead
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 09:56:06 pm »
92ECO,  First of all ditch the circuit to charge the phone that way.  Just wire up a second plug off the cigarette lighter and use a standard plug to USB cord.  Much more dependable, on all the time, and not prone to cutting out.  And it is on a fuse that is of greater amperage.

As for the horn circuit:  You have to pull the horn cover off the steering wheel and using a 24 or 27 MM deep socket and a large breaker bar you remove the nut holding the steering wheel on.  Mark it for alignment with a permanent pen or scribe so you get it back on in the same place. 

Once you get the steering wheel off you will see how there is a ring on the bottom of it and it most likely is dirty and the little finger of a tab that connects to that ring might be bent or corroded as well.  Just clean them both up real good. Put some lube on them and bend the finger up so it always is applying contact to the horn ring.  Pretty simple thing to do if you have those metric deep sockets.  You can always hit the local autopart store up for their loaners too.  No need to buy a set. 

Hope that gets you a fully working horn and a better charging setup.

Honestly, a take off from the horn circuit?   Now that is a first.

Reply #2August 27, 2018, 03:06:02 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 03:06:02 pm »
I assume it's still going through the relay coil... It doesn't seem to  draw enough to close the relay and honk the horn, so whatever.

As stated, the cover pops off and the big nut loosens the wheel. There is usually a terminal to unplug. 

Personally, I'd put the phone on the dash,  but it's your ride.

Reply #3August 27, 2018, 11:25:10 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 11:25:10 pm »
Maximum Distraction to driving with it in the wheel. 

Reply #4September 04, 2018, 01:29:42 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:29:42 pm »
Not sure if you guys can see this picture but I wired up a separate horn button when my stock horn failed. Definitely separate the horn and the phone charger circuits.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:33:18 pm by srgtlord »

Reply #5September 04, 2018, 07:47:34 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 07:47:34 pm »
Nice button, Maybe a tad oversized but when in need size matters.  I think that would be a great place for a phone dock. 

Reply #6September 13, 2018, 06:47:37 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:47:37 pm »
I assume it's still going through the relay coil... It doesn't seem to  draw enough to close the relay and honk the horn, so whatever.

As stated, the cover pops off and the big nut loosens the wheel. There is usually a terminal to unplug. 

Personally, I'd put the phone on the dash,  but it's your ride.

Where I have the phone mounted on the steering wheel is the best spot for maps/ navigation, where I don't have to turn my head to look at Google Maps (I don't txt or web surf when I drive & I have a perfect driving record w. no accidents or tickets since 1972). Horn and phone charging both still work through the horn slip ring. The trick is to add a tail light bulb in series with the charger to increase the load to pull in the horn relay.

I pulled the 24 mm nut and removed steering wheel easily (thanks for the info). It was apparent what was wrong.... in the straight ahead position, the slip ring has an approx a 5 degree worn spot where there's no current flow. As a temporary solution, I re-clocked the steering wheel 5 degrees to bypass the dead spot and it now works fine in the straight ahead position.

Anyone got a steering wheel with a good slip ring?

Reply #7September 13, 2018, 11:18:11 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 11:18:11 pm »
I think I still have a blue one around if you want it.  PM me and we can see if it works out for the both of us. 

Reply #8October 03, 2018, 12:34:27 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 12:34:27 pm »
I think I still have a blue one around if you want it.  PM me and we can see if it works out for the both of us. 

Sorry for the late reply to your offer. I have a black dash. A blue horn pad wouldn't look good. I actually deleted the (fat) horn pad and installed my own horn switch, and mounted the phone in the center of the steering wheel instead of on top of the horn pad, which made it much better overall.

Reply #9October 04, 2018, 11:11:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:11:55 pm »
I have a black interior in the Caddy and I run the GTI type steering wheel.  More beddar

Reply #10February 04, 2019, 09:06:20 am

Broosse

92 EcoDiesel horn dead spot w wheel straight ahead
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 09:06:20 am »
we also have a group buy on Mc Guard if we order 5 or more sets we can save some money if anyone is interested?

S-PAutomotive.com