Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

Cracking AWY Transmission Filler Hole??

(1/2) > >>

thomas m:
Just curious???

Having read the warnings regarding cracking the glow plug bosses, I'm wondering if there have been any history of cracking the filler hole in the AWY tranny case?? Spec says 18 ft-Lb, but when I get it snug by feel I'm below 18.??? Has this ever been an issue?

Comments??

ORCoaster:
If you are referring to that lower plug that is about 17mm hex head, the issue I know about is that it is generally way tighter than spec.  Like double or more.  No one wants leaks.

Dakotakid:
Calls to mind, years ago, when I was parting out a Jetta and, as usual, I wanted to drain the keeper-salvage trans and install some other oil for storage.

Some moron, who was absolutely jacked-up on meth, holding a 20-foot cheater bar must have last installed it. I tried EVERYTHING to get the plug to back out. Nothing worked.

Finally, I fired up the acetylene torch with #2 tip and produced a circular non-stop rotation around the plug until the aluminum was too hot to even think about touching. Waiting a half minute......re-applied torque to the plug.....and it slowly turned out.

I did elect to throw away that original plug though. But, no cracks in the case.....threads seemed just fine. Life went on. Turned out to be a REALLY nice trans. Blue ink would be prowdd.........

I would elect to send that AWY trans to "the promised land" with that bizarre final drive ratio. Isn't that one of those with the 4.25 ring? Of course, might be handy if living in hilly country. The ACH's are wonderful for normally-aspirated cars.

ORCoaster:
AWY is 3.94 R&P
ACH is also 3.94

AVX is 4.25

Source of Tranny codes and gear ratios:  http://zelek.com/diagram_Charts/diagramlist.htm

Dakotakid:
From the Scirocco.orgie site I see it does.
However, it has those same hinky gear ratios (same as the AUG gas) and ONLY a 0.89 fifth gear. which, AGAIN could be handy in hilly country.

I run an AUG (3.67 final) with sub'ed 5th gear (0.75) behind my spirited 1.6 turbo and I CURSE the day I decided to do that. They end up being annoying ratios in reality......close-ratio annoyance.  Should have just installed an ACN if I wanted 3.67 final. Live an learn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version