Author Topic: Cracking AWY Transmission Filler Hole??  (Read 2941 times)

August 15, 2018, 09:02:06 pm

thomas m

• Junior

Cracking AWY Transmission Filler Hole??
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:02:06 pm »
Just curious???

Having read the warnings regarding cracking the glow plug bosses, I'm wondering if there have been any history of cracking the filler hole in the AWY tranny case?? Spec says 18 ft-Lb, but when I get it snug by feel I'm below 18.??? Has this ever been an issue?

Comments??
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:05:32 pm by thomas m »

Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #1August 15, 2018, 09:48:05 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Cracking AWY Transmission Filler Hole??
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 09:48:05 pm »
If you are referring to that lower plug that is about 17mm hex head, the issue I know about is that it is generally way tighter than spec.  Like double or more.  No one wants leaks.

Reply #2August 16, 2018, 12:57:32 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:57:32 pm »
Calls to mind, years ago, when I was parting out a Jetta and, as usual, I wanted to drain the keeper-salvage trans and install some other oil for storage.

Some moron, who was absolutely jacked-up on meth, holding a 20-foot cheater bar must have last installed it. I tried EVERYTHING to get the plug to back out. Nothing worked.

Finally, I fired up the acetylene torch with #2 tip and produced a circular non-stop rotation around the plug until the aluminum was too hot to even think about touching. Waiting a half minute......re-applied torque to the plug.....and it slowly turned out.

I did elect to throw away that original plug though. But, no cracks in the case.....threads seemed just fine. Life went on. Turned out to be a REALLY nice trans. Blue ink would be prowdd.........

I would elect to send that AWY trans to "the promised land" with that bizarre final drive ratio. Isn't that one of those with the 4.25 ring? Of course, might be handy if living in hilly country. The ACH's are wonderful for normally-aspirated cars.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 01:01:20 pm by Dakotakid »
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #3August 16, 2018, 09:10:31 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:10:31 pm »
AWY is 3.94 R&P
ACH is also 3.94

AVX is 4.25

Source of Tranny codes and gear ratios:  http://zelek.com/diagram_Charts/diagramlist.htm

Reply #4August 17, 2018, 12:02:45 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:02:45 pm »
From the Scirocco.orgie site I see it does.
However, it has those same hinky gear ratios (same as the AUG gas) and ONLY a 0.89 fifth gear. which, AGAIN could be handy in hilly country.

I run an AUG (3.67 final) with sub'ed 5th gear (0.75) behind my spirited 1.6 turbo and I CURSE the day I decided to do that. They end up being annoying ratios in reality......close-ratio annoyance.  Should have just installed an ACN if I wanted 3.67 final. Live an learn.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #5August 17, 2018, 09:57:21 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 09:57:21 pm »
Yeah, transmission ratios are hard to get to work all the time.  I live in hill country so would be downshifting between third and forth plenty in the FF trans I have.  But that ubber tall 5th when I hit I 5 up the valley and cruising 65-70 sure is nice.  MPG finally. 

Although the hills don't eat too badly into the MPG as the speed is generally 35-40 at best.  No real reason to even try thinking about 5th at those speeds.  Would just starve the lower part of the engine for oil.  Did that with the 300 CID engine in my Ford years back.  Running the overdrive at low RPM equals less oil pressure and more fuel.  Didn't downshift enough in that rig.  Engine Rebuild at 100K.

Fixmyvw.com