Author Topic: ALH crank in AAZ block? and K03/K03S question  (Read 1987 times)

August 05, 2018, 06:16:08 pm

Buji88

• User+

ALH crank in AAZ block? and K03/K03S question
« on: August 05, 2018, 06:16:08 pm »
Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, I've gotten lots of great info from here. A bit of a backstory, I'm putting a 1.9 AAZ into a Suzuki Sidekick. Right now I have an amazing opportunity to pick up an ALH short block with a damaged piston for really cheap. It has the full timing set up, and balancer with the good oil cooler from a Passat on it. My question is, does anyone know if I can use the ALH crank in the AAZ block with minimal modification? I understand there be an extra gear on the ALH crank to run the CPS, which I won't need. At a price I can get the short block for it would be worth it.

Or even a MORE hair-brained idea, could I use the ALH short block and rods with my AAZ pistons, head, injectors, turbo, and injection pump? And build sort of ALH/AAZ hybrid? My engine has been rebuilt once due to the standard AAZ snapping the crank. The internal water pump being the biggest reason as this would help a lot with my swap for making room.

Also, I got a spare K03 with a water cooled cartridge. Would it be worthwhile to try and get a K03S compressor wheel and sort of make a hybrid? Or in general swap to the water-cooled K03? I don't have any performance desires with this engine really, more interested in outright durability. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:49:40 pm by Buji88 »

Reply #1August 05, 2018, 08:52:23 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: ALH crank in AAZ block? and K03/K03S question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 08:52:23 pm »
Me no able to answer your specific questions.....however, if the alh engine had it's piston do a "cornfield" meet with the valves.....you probably have at least one bent rod. The alh rods are wimpy and fragile. And. attempting to simply exchange one is more difficult than a guy would think as they are different lengths and different weights.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2August 05, 2018, 10:37:58 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:37:58 pm »
alh crank would need to be machined because the nose is different, the 06a blocks have a chain driven oil pump.

aaz pistons in an alh block would be possible but it would require a lot of modifications
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #3August 05, 2018, 11:26:03 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 11:26:03 pm »
You can't use the ALH crank in the AAZ block.  It has the extra crank driven oil pump setup that makes fitting the crank in the AAZ block a non-starter.  AHU (mk3 TDI) sure, those fit without issue in the AAZ block and the extra CPS trigger wheel is a non-issue.  ALH (mk4 TDI), nope, not gonna happen. 

AAZ head on an ALH shortblock?  You'd need to do a LOT of custom modification to the block.  The cylinders will line up as will the head bolt holes.  There are some glaring differences, though. 

To highlight the differences in the block/head openings here are images of both head gaskets.

ALH:

AAZ:

Most of the extra holes in the ALH are oil drains and could potentially be plugged, but there are enough that it would not be easy. 

Reply #4August 06, 2018, 11:00:27 am

Buji88

• User+

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 11:00:27 am »
Thanks guys, my google foo got alot stronger and I was able to come up with the answer. Still going to pick it up at such a sweet deal. Now to see if I can find a good deal on a AHU crank.

Any thoughts on changing my turbo?