Author Topic: Changed battery and now car went from starting on first hit to taking a little bit.  (Read 3056 times)

July 27, 2018, 04:00:01 pm

scaggsj

85 Jetta 1.6 na diesel coupe. Had a battery that wouldn’t keep its charge and when I went to get new one they didn’t have the exact replacement but I got one that had a little more cold cranking amps. My diesel motor used to fire off on the first revolution and now you have to hold the key down for a bunch of revolutions. Obviously issue started with a battery change but could my glow plugs be going bad too?

I ask that question because it takes a long time for the glow plug light to go out now.

I’m going to get another battery but just curious if anyone’s experienced this. I’m new to diesels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1July 27, 2018, 11:11:39 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
I have found at times when I pull the battery cables off from the posts I don't always get them clean and snug.  Several times after I have driven the car for a bit I am under the hood again and I twist on the clamps and they TURN!  Hey what's with that?  Off to get the wrenchs and dielectric grease.

Posts are not always the same size although I though somewhere along the line they were standardized.  So You might just have poor connections.  But check those gps just in case.  Winter is coming sooner than you think.  Not the time to find two of them are not working for you anymore.

Reply #2August 05, 2018, 11:22:35 am

thomas m

• Junior

Here's all one needs to know about dielectric and conductive greases....or, at least, a thorough opinion !!!

https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm
Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #3January 09, 2019, 02:29:57 pm

thomas m

• Junior

i recently replaced the original positive battery clamp with a "lead" (or whatever it is these days) aftermarket clamp. Anyway it is softer than the original steel clamp. It doesn't seem to hold its tightness as well as the steel version. It deforms under tightening and doesn't seem to really get "tight'. i'll live with it and maybe switch back to a less deformable type later.
Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

S-PAutomotive.com