Engine Specific Info and Questions > IDI Engine

Boost blip 13 lbs then 0

(1/4) > >>

Gizmoman:
I've had a lot of issues with boost gauges but I don't want to go into that now. I finally fixed the issues and trust what I'm seeing. When getting on the freeway and go WOT, boost climbs steadily till it hits 13-15 psi. It hen blips to near zero and the engine stumbles. My target boost pressure is 20 psi and was hoping to set that using the fuel screw and my right foot  ;)
The turbo is the Holset HE200WE and I have the dump-gate zip-tied shut. I have done a pressure test using compressed air into the intake and can't find any leaks other than air seeping past the rings.
 Just to be clear, the boost drops off very quickly (like a switch) when it hits somewhere around 13-15 psi. If I keep my foot into it, the engine seems to stumble and the EGT's climb rather quickly. Don't know if it's smoking at this point because my mirror's aren't all that great or my eyes are too old.

I have messed with the LDA but don't recall where it is at present.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

burn_your_money:
If you back off the throttle for a bit will it do it again right away?

How's your fuel supply?

Gizmoman:
It acts exactly like it did when I was running the 12V fuel pump which had something caught in it's filter.  I removed the pump entirely and ran a new fuel line. I also replaced the fuel filter just a few days ago.
It feels and acts like its running out of fuel at around 13-15 psi. I've turned up the fuel screw enough that it puffs a bit of smoke when I rev it. Also enough that I had to re-mount the throttle lever to get the idle back to 850. Turning in the fuel screw moved the issue from 12 PSI to higher but it's still there.

I still get a quick climb to 1300 F if I hold my foot into it - not floored, but enough to maintain speed up a grade. It's a shame because I know the turbo can provide more air and would keep the EGTs lower.

burn_your_money:
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge mounting near the inlet to the pump per chance?

Gizmoman:
Just to clarify, there is no pump between the tank and the IP (I had one but was told it wasn't needed - it was causing issues due to a tiny filter on the inlet). So there would be no pressure - only vacuum :)

Do you think I need a pump and if I do can you recommend one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version