S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6L Diesel NA Connecting Rod Wrist Pins  (Read 1469 times)

June 11, 2018, 01:09:36 pm

86smoker

1.6L Diesel NA Connecting Rod Wrist Pins
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:09:36 pm »
Hey Everybody,

So currently I have my car completely torn down it is an '86 golf diesel 1.6L NA and I am doing a full rebuild, I have the block bored .020 over and got a new head (hydraulic) as well as the full rebuild kit from Partsplaceinc.com. As of right now I pressed in my new bushings for the wrist pins and while measuring the bushings compared to the wrist pins the pins are .020 bigger. Now everything I have read is that they are press in (according to my Bentley it says to give the pistons a heat bath but the wrist pins fit perfect in those they are also brand new). My question is are they the wrong bushings or do they need to be reamed before getting them pressed in?

Any Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Reply #1June 12, 2018, 01:15:17 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: 1.6L Diesel NA Connecting Rod Wrist Pins
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 01:15:17 am »
Congrats....you are one of the few guys who actually follows details like new bushings....!
Yes, mine always needed careful reaming.
But, I don't understand the love affair with partsplace. They talk a good line, but sell over-priced out-sourced.

Anyway, don't forget the assembly lube.
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #2June 12, 2018, 10:34:36 am

86smoker

Re: 1.6L Diesel NA Connecting Rod Wrist Pins
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 10:34:36 am »
Congrats....you are one of the few guys who actually follows details like new bushings....!
Yes, mine always needed careful reaming.
But, I don't understand the love affair with partsplace. They talk a good line, but sell over-priced out-sourced.

Anyway, don't forget the assembly lube.

Okay so they do need to be reamed before getting the Wrist pins pressed in. Looks like im going to a machine shop. Thank you sir!

Fixmyvw.com