Model Specific Questions and Info > MK2 Golf/Jetta and Audi 5k

Would You Use This Oil In Your Diesel Engne??

(1/2) > >>

thomas m:
Open question here.

Would You Use This Oil In Your Diesel Engine??

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

Click the 15W-50 tab.

Just wanting to get reactions from the crowd.

Thanks

ORCoaster:
NOPE!

My diesel is so old I would have leaks all over the place I fear.  Besides that I don't see where that oil is actually made for all the soot that is part of the diesel burn process.  The Rotella Diesel formula is what I use and buy when it goes on sale for 13 bucks a gallon locally.

libbydiesel:
I've switched many high mileage engines to synthetic and have never had it cause a single leak, ever.  I'm convinced that's a myth. 

It meets CF rating.  Would I use it?  It depends on which engine.  I have 5 vehicles with AHU and ALH engines and would not use it in any of those as it does not meet spec for them.  I have two other vehicles that it would meet the spec on ('79 rabbit, '85 gasser vanagon) and I'd be ok with using it in either of those. 

Dakotakid:
I'd use it if my neighbor had it and left his garage unlocked..................

thomas m:
Quoted from the Mobil 1 data sheet:

"According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 15W-50 is of the following quality level:
    API  CF"

I'm not sure what "is of the following quality level" means, but it is a "CF" API designation.

To quote the API.org website, CF is an obsolete designation "Introduced in 1994. For off-road, indirect-injected and other diesel engines including those using fuel with over 0.5% weight sulfur. Can be used in place of CD oils."

So, it is a diesel rated oil. Whether it is too heavy for an old engine is a matter of opinion and experience.

My Delo 400 SAE 40W for diesel engines is rated API CF also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version