Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Tdi blue and white smoke  (Read 4805 times)

May 07, 2018, 12:29:30 pm

willbz

Tdi blue and white smoke
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:29:30 pm »
2 months a go i hit a deer. Appeared to not damage anything.  No leaks cracks etc. a week after motor started to overheat on highway and hit 240° when I realized it was overheating. Trailered it home and now when idleing will only reach 160° apprised to the 190° it has always been at, seems to also burn a lot more oil than before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1May 07, 2018, 12:30:30 pm

willbz

Tdi blue and white smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »
Update
I Have done a compression test and all cylinders are 400psi plus. So head gasket is out of the question. Warped head mabye? Is it worth changing the thermostat first?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:33:28 pm by willbz »

Reply #2May 08, 2018, 02:10:28 pm

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: Tdi blue and white smoke
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:28 pm »
So little info.
Is this an alh?

Was there body damage to the front of car?

Did you drive the car for the week after the deer hit and no problems?

Sure, put in a new thermostat and gasket. Whatever.

Now you put oil consumption into the equation? Did you pull the bottom intercooler tube loose and see how much oil is in it? The center seal in your turbocharger may be going.

You may or may not have multiple problems going on at once.
How long did you run this engine in hot range?

You put very little effort into your question: "I was on my long journey to Mars and ran into some problems....what should I do?"
The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

Reply #3May 19, 2018, 10:08:18 am

willbz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:08:18 am »
So little info.
Is this an alh?

Was there body damage to the front of car?

Did you drive the car for the week after the deer hit and no problems?

Sure, put in a new thermostat and gasket. Whatever.

Now you put oil consumption into the equation? Did you pull the bottom intercooler tube loose and see how much oil is in it? The center seal in your turbocharger may be going.

You may or may not have multiple problems going on at once.
How long did you run this engine in hot range?

You put very little effort into your question: "I was on my long journey to Mars and ran into some problems....what should I do?"
Yes there was body damage, but definitely no leaks or punctures in radiator.

I drive the car for about 2 weeks after hitting the deer, Car was perfectly normal the whole time. Then one day while driving for about 20 minutes on highway at 70-75mph, I realized the coolant light has come on and the temp is well above 230. So I pulled over and let it cool down for a little bit. Engine cooled down, I believe the radiator had like 1/4 antifreeze and 3/4 water. Only vehicle to travel to auto part store, and only had that much freeze in my garage.there was a leak at one point in one of the lines I replaced about a month before hitting the deer. 
I have not checked the turbo seal but will definitely look into it.
Engine ran for probably 2 minutes at 240°, but a lot of people are telling me there is no way I warped a head, but they are all bsers lol.
I wrote this to see if anyone had any similar issues,  What’s the best way to check for a head gasket failure?  Some say the egr itself can cause some issues if not removed.
Thanks -will

Reply #4May 25, 2018, 11:22:35 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:22:35 pm »
Do a compression check and that will tell you if you have a problem with the head attachment to the block.  Do you have pressurized water system?  Air in coolant or water in oil.  All possible outcomes of head gasket loosing it. 

Reply #5February 17, 2019, 04:58:50 am

smutts

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    ClackClackClackClackClack
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 04:58:50 am »
As long as the coolant cap is working, run the engine from cold for a couple of minutes. Squeeze the coolant hoses, if they are now rock hard, the cooling system is getting inflated by leaking combustion gasses. Bad news.

S-PAutomotive.com