Canada Catalys

Author Topic: Bad Turbo?...  (Read 319 times)

July 19, 2018, 09:15:11 pm

willbz

• View Profile
Bad Turbo?...
« on: July 19, 2018, 09:15:11 pm »
My ALH Jetta is has a very thick cloud of blue smoke both on startup and while being driven. Boost seems normal. Took lower intercooler line off and a large amount of oil is in bottom of cooler. Indication of a bad turbo seal? I have not ran the engine due to fear of a runaway. Could overheating the motor from couple days prior cause this seal to go bad? Although blue smoke was present before it was never Smokey while driving. Thanks all -will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reply #1July 20, 2018, 12:52:00 pm

libbydiesel

• Veteran

• View Profile
Re: Bad Turbo?...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:52:00 pm »
It's normal for the intercooler tubing to have a somewhat alarming amount of oil in them.  The oil comes from the crank vent as oil mist and vapors that then condense in the tubes. 

A far more likely cause of excessive smoke on startup is that you have air entering your fuel lines or pump.  This can be from anywhere upstream of the pump (very common cause on the mk4's is the fuel sender), from any leaky seal on the pump, the return line, or even the little jumpers between the injectors.  Air entering the fuel system will cause it to smoke until the air is purged from the system.
Use, abuse or ignorance of any information is at your own risk, confirmation or refutation is your own responsibility, no further 'proof' will be given, take it or leave it, YMMV,terms subject to change without notice, avoid contact with eyes or skin, contents known to cause cancer in California

NOLA Speed and Style