Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: FUSING THE "PIMPED" GLOW PLUG CIRCUIT  (Read 2630 times)

April 22, 2018, 05:52:16 pm

thomas m

• Junior

FUSING THE "PIMPED" GLOW PLUG CIRCUIT
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:52:16 pm »
Is there a reason for removing the 50 amp VW fuse from the circuit and replacing it with one fuse to each glow plug? Is there some electrical advantage to doing that? I understand that it would be easier to check for bad plugs.

I am considering just attaching a 50 amp ANL fuse to the output of the relay terminal and then the four glow wires wires to that and not using the individual fuses, one for each plug. This is, more or less, like the VW circuit. I could still easily check each individual glow plug. There would be a lot fewer crimp connectors and no fuse block. My VW fuse has not blown in 27 years.

Am I missing something on the electrical side that could cause a melt down????

i
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 06:00:39 pm by thomas m »

Thomas, Original owner since new:
1991 MK2 Jetta Non-turbo 1.6 diesel, Engine Code ME, 5 speed 020 AWY 04120 transmission, Hydraulic Lifters,
320,000 miles
LOOKING FOR REBUILD OPTIONS IN PORTLAND, OR OR ON THE WEST COAST

Reply #1April 22, 2018, 11:02:04 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: FUSING THE "PIMPED" GLOW PLUG CIRCUIT
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 11:02:04 pm »
Mostly it is a matter of individual preference.  Substituting the original VW tin fuse with todays plug in type is an upgrade for sure. Advantage is that todays fuses are available at most auto parts stores, Wal farts and just about anywhere.  The VW type?  yeah, old junkers at the pick and pull and if you are lucky a stash in the glove box. 

As for electrical advantage for one fuse per glow plug, I think splitting the circuit into four smaller fuses just makes it a lot easier to figure out if a glow plug is out or is using more amps because it will pop a 10 amp fuse but not a 15.  Again personal preference.
If you already have it set up where you can just pull a fuse and test between the terminal and ground for continuity it is faster than disassembling four wires at the 50 amp fuse to do it. 

Most of us use the same color wire for the install but you could even split that up so you have multiple colors for 1-4 cylinders.  Making it even easier to find the guilty party in a hurry or the dark. 

S-PAutomotive.com