Engine Specific Info and Questions > TDI - VE Pump TDI Engines

1Z constant white smoke

(1/2) > >>

Tmarkle:
Just picked up a 98 Jetta TDI for dirt cheap. Runs pretty solid and has good power, I drove it 150 miles home from Wyoming to Montana and it performed great. However it has a smoking issue. When idling, it constantly smokes a bit of white. It is unburied diesel, burns your eyes and such. When revving, it is a very light grey haze, and after driving there will be no smoke till it sits and idles for a minute. The smoke is much more noticeable cold but is still there when warm. The intake is pretty dang plugged and I found a tiny diesel leak on the bottom of the pump head. There was a small bubble sitting in the feed line to the injection pump, so I’m thinking that maybe there’s some air in the system? I’m my Toyota diesel swap thread I know I put AHU, my mistake, I didn’t actually look at the code till today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ORCoaster:
It might be air in the lines or timing.  Best get out the dial gauge and see if it is advanced a bit too far or not far enough. 

Tmarkle:

--- Quote from: ORCoaster on April 23, 2018, 11:09:54 pm ---It might be air in the lines or timing.  Best get out the dial gauge and see if it is advanced a bit too far or not far enough.

--- End quote ---
Can I adjust the timing on the tdi by tilting the pump? I thought I’d need to use a computer to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tmarkle:
I think I misunderstood some of my readings. Can I adjust the TDI timing using my dial gauge for IDIs?

ORCoaster:
Deferring to someone with knowledge of TDI timing.  I don't know if the IDI method is the same.  Likely not as the age and engine is way better than something from the 1980's inventors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version