S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Issues with rad fan  (Read 1574 times)

April 25, 2018, 09:39:20 pm

Pearl1990

Issues with rad fan
« on: April 25, 2018, 09:39:20 pm »
I've got a 1990 golf with a 1.6na in it. The wiring between my rad fan, thermoswitch, and the relay is all ***. The fan has never properly worked since owning the car.

So now I'm trying to just run the relay to a switch on my dash that I can turn on when needed. I'm trying to test my fan to see if it's even working and I can't seem to get it to run. So coming directly from the fan, if I run the red/black or red/white to the positive battery terminal and the brown ground wire to the negative terminal, it should turn on right? I've also tested continuity in the wires and they're all good.

Electrical isn't my strongest skillset by the way...

Reply #1April 26, 2018, 10:33:14 am

sgnimj96

• Junior

Re: Issues with rad fan
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:14 am »
Having a good electric fan is so important on watercooled vw's

did you test continuity of the relay?   you have to activate it by jumping it with 12v,   then test that the other 2 terminals now have continuity

I don't know the colors of the wires,  but it's a simple circuit to make if you want to just put a inline fuse off the battery and wire it where the relay gets power from the rad thermal switch OR a manual switch. 
  I don't think mk2's had as bad of a stock circuit as the mk1's so you might want to keep searching for what is wrong before giving up.

On my mk1 I still have the stock cooling fan circuit,  but tied in a  manual switch circuit (with it's own relay ).    I also added a small wire from the hot wire of the fan to a small light on the dash to tell when the fan actually comes on.    Really helps for me to see what temp the fan is coming on and to have a manual switch just in case.

81 Scirocco 1.6D (conversion)    86 Gofl 1.6D      2003 Golf Tdi   1985 300TD

Reply #2April 26, 2018, 11:54:41 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 11:54:41 pm »
Personally I have my mk2 golf's fan wired directly from the battery to the thermoswitch. You should put an inline fuse in the circuit to make it safe. Mine has been working flawlessly for the past 5 years.

Reply #3April 27, 2018, 02:59:37 pm

Pearl1990

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 02:59:37 pm »
Personally I have my mk2 golf's fan wired directly from the battery to the thermoswitch. You should put an inline fuse in the circuit to make it safe. Mine has been working flawlessly for the past 5 years.

I might just do this. What's the purpose of the relay anyway? Just for the after run fan?

I'm trying to test my fan first. A lot of the wires were cracked so I started cutting them out a replacing them, but I took a break from the project and forgot how it goes together again. I can't seem to make sense of the bentley manual either.

So how would I wire this? The ground on the fan would go to a ground, the ground wire on the thermoswitch to the battery or starter, and the two red wires from the thermoswitch to the fan?

Reply #4April 27, 2018, 06:31:40 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 06:31:40 pm »

Fixmyvw.com