S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1982 Vanagon AAZ Finding TDC for Crank  (Read 1861 times)

April 19, 2018, 09:50:38 am

eaders

1982 Vanagon AAZ Finding TDC for Crank
« on: April 19, 2018, 09:50:38 am »
Hello,

I'm having trouble finding a specific thread about my particular setup. If there is, point me in the right direction and I can erase this thread.

I have a 1982 Vanagon with a 93 AAZ and an 89 Gas M-Trans. Its the 15 degree setup from KEP with the 228mm flywheel.

I'm just getting to timing the engine. I put the cylinder head on the block with the engine almost at TDC but not quite. I wrongly assumed I had a timing hole on the transmission I could use after the fact to find TDC. I have searched high and low and I cannot find a TDC timing hole on the transmission. Does the 89 transmission have a timing hole? If so where is it?

If not, how do I get the crank to TDC?

There is a white mark on the crank sprocket, which is clearly for timing. Since this sprocket uses a keyway, it stands to reason that that white mark can only be in one spot when the sprocket is mounted on the crank. Is this assumption correct?

If so, then I think I just need to know what it lines up to; does anybody know? There is no white mark on the seal plate so I have no idea what it should line up to.

If not, how to I find TDC for the crank? Again, its almost at TDC, only off by a few notches.

Other options I thought of:
- Take the starter out and hope there is TDC mark in there
- Turn the crank in either direction hoping I can feel for it (but I have no idea how I would do this or if it would work)
- Take the transmission off to find the flywheel TDC (last resort)

Please share your thoughts, ideas, and experience! Thank you for the help friends!!

Adam

1982 Vanagon L (Current Engine: AAZ)
1993 Passat GL (Body Sold; Engine to Van)

Reply #1April 19, 2018, 12:04:52 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: 1982 Vanagon AAZ Finding TDC for Crank
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:52 pm »
The KEP adapter should have a hole in the plate at the back side of the engine.  There should also be a matching timing mark in their proprietary flywheel.  The following pic shows the hole outlined in red.  It is an automatic ALH, but the plate should be the same.

Reply #2April 19, 2018, 01:00:19 pm

eaders

Re: 1982 Vanagon AAZ Finding TDC for Crank
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:00:19 pm »
YESSSSS!!!!!!

libbydiesel you are a god! Never even occurred to me KEP would factor that into their designs.

Thank you very much!!

My van Leo thanks you as well!
Adam

1982 Vanagon L (Current Engine: AAZ)
1993 Passat GL (Body Sold; Engine to Van)