NOLA Speed and Style

Author Topic: Very little boost on my mTDI ALH Vanagon install  (Read 902 times)

Reply #15March 30, 2018, 01:38:44 pm

libbydiesel

• Veteran

• View Profile
Re: Very little boost on my mTDI ALH Vanagon install
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 01:38:44 pm »
I imagine you can make it smoke and have high EGTs with the LR pump.  If it smokes/has high egts before the turbo is producing decent boost, swapping pumps is not going to fix that situation.
Use, abuse or ignorance of any information is at your own risk, confirmation or refutation is your own responsibility, no further 'proof' will be given, take it or leave it, YMMV,terms subject to change without notice, avoid contact with eyes or skin, contents known to cause cancer in California

Reply #16March 30, 2018, 06:39:55 pm

Zeitgeist

• User+

• Personal Text
    Rule Cascadia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 06:39:55 pm »
I was just referring to swapping the 4BT head over to the LR pump.  But, that's for another time. 

I'm now thinking that those small automatic nozzles might be limiting the fueling needed to drive up boost with this pump.  Over in the MB IDI world, they're able to run huge Holset turbos by swapping in larger elements that vastly increase the amount of fuel available--larger nozzles don't really apply in that realm.  Since I was already planning to upgrade the nozzles, I guess I'll try that out. 
'87 300TD (OM603)-->(OM606)
'90 300D (OM602)
'89 Vanagon Bluestar (ALH)
'01 EV Weekender (AXK)
'94 100CSQ Avant (AAH)

Reply #17July 01, 2018, 04:32:16 pm

Zeitgeist

• User+

• Personal Text
    Rule Cascadia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 04:32:16 pm »
Just to follow up on this topic, I found that the cardboard snorkel tube running up the pillar was collapsed and causing lots of boost issues.  I also found that my wastegate was opening prematurely, though I haven't fully diagnosed that yet, so I've been driving around with the actuator unplugged--no wastegate at all.  I can get about 13psi peak and the EGTs have never gone above 850F.  I have some PP764 nozzles coming my way, so I expect I'll need to dial back the fueling in order to keep EGTs low.  The engine produces good torque for around town driving, but the HP isn't quite there out on the freeway.   
'87 300TD (OM603)-->(OM606)
'90 300D (OM602)
'89 Vanagon Bluestar (ALH)
'01 EV Weekender (AXK)
'94 100CSQ Avant (AAH)

Reply #18July 02, 2018, 11:08:21 pm

libbydiesel

• Veteran

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 11:08:21 pm »
Thanks for the update.  If the EGTs have never gotten above 850, then you can certainly increase the fuel a fair amount from where it currently is.  I look forward to hearing about the new nozzles.
Use, abuse or ignorance of any information is at your own risk, confirmation or refutation is your own responsibility, no further 'proof' will be given, take it or leave it, YMMV,terms subject to change without notice, avoid contact with eyes or skin, contents known to cause cancer in California

Fixmyvw.com