S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: WTB: 1.6D Cast Thermostat Housing Flange  (Read 2389 times)

March 17, 2018, 09:50:08 pm

joelsolomonson

WTB: 1.6D Cast Thermostat Housing Flange
« on: March 17, 2018, 09:50:08 pm »
Hey All!
I'm looking for an aluminum thermostat housing flange for a Vanagon swap I'm working on. Anybody got one laying around? Let me know what you want for it. Thanks

Joel

Reply #1March 18, 2018, 02:35:56 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: WTB: 1.6D Cast Thermostat Housing Flange
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 02:35:56 am »
There are several with different angles.  Which one are you looking for?  More to the point, which engine are you installing in your vanagon and what accessories will it have?  That will determine which thermostat housing is needed.

Reply #2March 18, 2018, 03:40:33 pm

joelsolomonson

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:40:33 pm »
Ahhh Thank you! I'm installing an AHU motor at 50 degrees with power steering and AC. I was mocking up some bits yesterday and went to put the motor bracket on and realized it interfered with the stock AHU thermostat housing with the 90 elbow so I pulled the power steering bracket to put a different housing (030121121B) and it wouldn't fit under the power steering bracket. Very imprecisely guessing by the pics I've seen the cast housing looks like it has a lower profile to get under the power steering bracket. Am I on the right track?

Joel   

Reply #3March 19, 2018, 12:06:04 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 12:06:04 am »
You will want the Mk1 thermostat housing but will need to modify the hose.  The aluminum one is 055121121A.  The plastic one is shown in the pic, but the aluminum one is the same angle.  You then need a sharp turn to avoid the aluminum bracket.  The sticker shows the part number for the hose in the pic.  It's available at most auto parts stores.  Make the two cuts and use the center section of hose.  Cut the hose from radiator to length as well and add a hose coupler and clamps.  The copper connector shown is available at any hardware store, but requires beading.  I use the homemade beading tool shown in the second pic.  Otherwise, source an appropriate diameter beaded coolant connector from some place like this:  https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/cooling-systems

S-PAutomotive.com