S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: What to do with some of my sad old parts: cyl head and inj pumps  (Read 1866 times)

January 28, 2018, 08:27:00 pm

zuhandenheit

• Junior

I'm looking at this old head I received in my knackered and mismatched mess of a motor. It's been rebuilt and never run. The intake valves are new, but not the exhaust valves. They look okay to my inexpert eyes.

But the cam caps are wrong and when torqued, seize the cam. Align boring is not likely an option, given the difficulty of finding a machine shop who can deal with something this size. Someone once mentioned shims, but I would think this is a temporary solution at best (presumably there's no way that the cam would make full contact with the bearing, and I'd get excessive wear and hot spots.

It had some new valve followers I used when I put a new cam in my other motor. Other than that --

I could tear it down and part it out, if there's anything of any value inside it. I doubt it.

--

Next, this quite thoroughly screwed pump. This one hurts and I am not happy to tell the story.

After I performed a reseal, I had some trouble with the idle control lever. I don't quite remember the specifics, but I think the o-ring wasn't seating properly. I discovered this only after fitting it back on the motor. I hoped I could fix it without pulling the pump and fiddled with it for quite awhile. I was tired and getting frustrated (after R&Ring my two pumps a bunch of times on account of various problems). Well, finally I get it sorted -- so I thought -- and the motor started. But it was blowing white smoke, running like ***, and making a terrible knocking sound. I shut it down with keen awareness that I was screwed.

When I took it back apart, I saw that he spring for the lever was gone. It had of course fallen into the internals. I thought, maybe -- god help me, maybe -- it was sitting benignly somewhere inside. But of course not: there was 'coffee ground material' everywhere in the pump (what the hell is this? I guess it's a seal that was shredded, but which one?) And worst of all, I then found this:

Well, at this point, it was almost time to get back to Hawaii and store the van (I was hurrying, stupidly, because I wanted to store it at least in running condition.)

This pump came with my second motor and always seemed to run quite well. I grabbed the old pump, which I suspected is quite a bit more worn, and tried running that, with no luck.

I gave up and left, and a few months later found that rebuilt pump that I've been on about in another thread.

So, any suggestions re these two pumps? Should I tear into the other one and perhaps scour it for undamaged parts which can go in the one I broke? I've never done a full pump diss, but I don't have a lot to lose and would probably enjoy it.

The old pump might after all be okay -- but it did some things that worried me: after a long drive on the highway, the van would idle very low, almost to the point of stalling, and I've been told this is a sign of a dying pump. I could just try hooking it up again and seeing if it'll start -- I was in a rush, as I said, and maybe didn't give it a fair chance.

I also could part out the seriously f*cked pump, if anyone needs parts.

I've had these things just sitting around along with a lot of other stuff -- an dissed AAZ block with a melted piston, a bunch of turbos in marginal condition, lots of 1.6 parts, and it's time to fix, consolidate, sell, and junk stuff.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:30:07 pm by zuhandenheit »

Reply #1January 29, 2018, 03:51:25 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Re: What to do with some of my sad old parts: cyl head and inj pumps
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 03:51:25 am »
The black bits are the rubber bushings that go between the driveshaft and the gear that drives the governor (that is missing a tooth in your picture). Replacement rubbers come in the gasket kit. Depending on where the missing tooth went it may or may not be a big deal.
Tyler

Reply #2January 29, 2018, 09:31:58 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:31:58 am »
I found the missing tooth -- it was sitting benignly at the bottom of the case. Not a big deal, huh? I assumed this thing was thoroughly wrecked . . .

Reply #3January 29, 2018, 10:07:36 am

RustyCaddy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:07:36 am »
You can (should) trust Tylers advice.

Reply #4January 29, 2018, 03:16:55 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 03:16:55 pm »
Those rubber bits will be everywhere in the pump including the delivery valves. They also may have made it to your injectors which could be causing your issues. I'd start there with the old pump that's suppose to be working.
Tyler

Reply #5January 30, 2018, 03:16:44 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 03:16:44 am »
I was afraid of the rubber bits getting into the injectors, but hoped they wouldn't get past the delivery valves. Maybe I should pull and disassemble them?

The motor is running better than ever, aside from the smoke, but I'm pretty sure that's because of the new pump's 1.6 boost pin. Adjustment to the fuel screw helped, but I missed the performance enough that I turned it back up. I'm running 15 psi now, the smoke is not too bad, and my EGTs are quite good. At full throttle in high gear I see a very slow creep from 1100 to about 1200. With the old pump and turbo I could quite easily hit 1300+

Reply #6January 30, 2018, 03:42:32 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 03:42:32 am »
I should ask, however: would it make any sense that I'd get excessive (black) smoke on account of bits of the seal contaminating injectors? I would expect if there were bits floating around that they might cause injectors not to open, and I don't have see any signs of that, or maybe to stick open, in which case I'd expect high EGTs.

Again, everything seems to be in order except that the motor smokes more than before, but that really seems to be just the performance modifications to the pump . . .

When you said that the missing tooth on the governor may not be a big deal, do you mean that it can be run like that? By any chance, would my old 1.6 pump have the same gear?

I figured the pump was utterly ruined and almost fully disassembled it just out of curiosity. I still tried to keep all the parts in order, and it would be a fun project to see if I could get it running again -- even just for the hell of it.

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Reply #7January 30, 2018, 10:24:36 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 10:24:36 am »
With a junk cam, you could very likely do an adequate job 'align boring' your cam caps DIY style.  Smear rough valve grinding paste on one of the journals and spin the cam slowly with a drill while you tighten that cap.  Lather, rinse, repeat for the other caps.  Finish with the fine paste afterward.

Reply #8January 30, 2018, 11:23:47 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 11:23:47 am »
Andrew, that's a really damn clever idea!! And it so happens I've got just the cam.

I'll give it a shot.

Reply #9January 30, 2018, 12:46:11 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 12:46:11 pm »
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought the van was still not running. If it's idling smoothly and only blowing black under heavyish throttle then your injectors are almost certainly fine.

You can not run the pump with the missing tooth. You can swap in the part from a different pump. As far as I know all the VW ones up to TDI are the same with regards to that piece.
Tyler

S-PAutomotive.com