Author Topic: Gauge for stock oil temp sender (and psi sender?)  (Read 1369 times)

January 24, 2018, 09:49:11 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

Gauge for stock oil temp sender (and psi sender?)
« on: January 24, 2018, 09:49:11 am »
When I first put an AAZ in my van, I accidentally connected the coolant temp wire to a sender on the oil filter mount (shows what I knew!). The mount has two senders -- one apparently identical to the coolant temp sender on the outlet pipe on the head. I assume that the other is an oil pressure sender?

My temp gauge appeared to work okay, though I noticed that the temp needle moved a lot more than on the 1.6! It's fortunate for me that it was still giving a meaningful reading -- during a long trip I sprung a leak on the highway and overheated. (The leak was from a pinhole on one of the stock metal pipes, which had rusted from the inside. Of course it was leaking from above the fuel tank, which meant for a very long day hacking together a repair in a parking lot!)

Anyway, I don't have an oil cooler yet, and I'd like to see my oil temps. Is there an aftermarket gauge that will correctly read the signal from the stock sender?

Also, am I right that the other sender on the filter mount is for pressure? I have a currently unused VDO gauge ( https://www.amazon.com/VDO-350104-Electrical-Pressure-Diameter/dp/B000CCDLEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1516805213&sr=1-1&keywords=vdo+350104). I have since learned that electronic gauges are unreliable. But I wanted to avoid running oil lines to the front of the van.

Any chance that I could get a usable signal from the stock sender (supposing that's what it is)?

Reply #1January 24, 2018, 09:53:51 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

Re: Gauge for stock oil temp sender (and psi sender?)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 09:53:51 am »
I pretty quickly learned on my own that the stock pressure sender is merely triggered by a certain pressure and so wouldn't give a dynamic reading.

Are there any appropriate senders that fit the stock bung?

Reply #2January 24, 2018, 11:32:02 am

RunninWild

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 11:32:02 am »
Yeah the stock pressure sensor is more of a switch. I think its set to like 11psi or something like that. Its more of an alarm for like no pressure. Youll need a aftermarket sender to get a accurate reading.

Reply #3January 24, 2018, 04:08:29 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 04:08:29 pm »
You have only part of your solution with the gauge in hand.  You need the sender that goes with it. 

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-360-009D-360009-Pressure-Sender/dp/B00029XEBG/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00029XEBG&pd_rd_r=8C1F9HW47SKMB616Y8MM&pd_rd_w=bHqVh&pd_rd_wg=FnYKf&psc=1&refRID=8C1F9HW47SKMB616Y8MM

Roughly 50 bucks.

I should replace the sender on the head of the engine and not that one on the oil flange.  Leave that one there and use it for a safety to tell you your oil pressure is low.  Although if you have a properly opperating gauge at the head spot you would know that.

The gauge you have is for oil pressure correct?  If you want a better temp gauge than the stock one on the dash you will need to purchase one of those.  Either a mechanical, my preference, or another electrical one.  You might find a spot to stick that on one of the coolant flanges.  I have seen them that way.  I have one on my Caddy that comes right off the head as the coolant goes round and round. 

No usable signal to be had from stock sender.  Just leave it alone.