Author Topic: Mk 1 engine mounts  (Read 2990 times)

April 10, 2006, 04:42:18 pm

stewardc

Mk 1 engine mounts
« on: April 10, 2006, 04:42:18 pm »
Does an A1 have the A2s liquid-filled motor mount? Is it adaptable to the A1 Chassis? Does it make much difference in noise/vibration?

Reply #1April 10, 2006, 05:49:43 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 05:49:43 pm »
A1 and A2 mount setups are completely different and not really easily adapted either way.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2April 14, 2006, 01:22:50 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:22:50 pm »
There are some simple, well proven upgrades to stiffening the A1 mounts, but if you are looking for smoother, you might have to break new ground
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #3April 14, 2006, 03:41:51 pm

stewardc

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 03:41:51 pm »
Yes, stiffening is not a problem, the cure is called "Energy Suspension", but I was looking for less droning and vibration. I guess I'll have to sell the Caddy and buy an A2  :roll:

Reply #4April 14, 2006, 04:52:29 pm

greggearhead

• Junior

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 04:52:29 pm »
Heh.  Not hardley, but it is an A1 and they are not Cadillacs.  

You might try a "damper" setup.  On many cars, including my old BMW, there are dampers, or shock absorbers, that help reduce the engine rocking slightly.  Looks like a steering damper, or small shock absorber.  

On autocross/drag cars I have seen cabls/chains/rods used to limit engine movement, from the front crossmember to an upper front bolt on the trans usually.  No reason you couldn't mount a damper in a similar location.

Also, the big rubber washers that sandwitch the side mounts need to be there - I have seen them taken out a LOT, and it really makes the engine move more, which wears the front and rear engine "mounts" much more quickly and cause more harshness, IMO.  

FYI - those rubber washers come in 3 different thicknesses, if you want to play with mounting stiffness...
Caddy (TD Project), Caddy 1.6D, etc etc.

Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection

Reply #5April 14, 2006, 07:59:43 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:59:43 pm »
Quote from: "stewardc"
...I was looking for less droning and vibration.
stewardc- I'm guessing that your main complaint is with vibration at idle?  Just curious as to know (if you do) how many mm of lift your IP is set at and the idle rpm.  These can make a difference for sure.

Hope this helps.

Reply #6April 14, 2006, 08:06:52 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 08:06:52 pm »
im looking to limit engine movement,,i was figuring a "torque arm" that went from the left side of head,back to firewall,,of course welding will be involved,,,,,watch the valve cover rock,just revvin it up,,someday ill engineer one up,,,,,
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #7April 14, 2006, 08:09:18 pm

stewardc

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 08:09:18 pm »
Quote from: "mortskeg"
...I was looking for less droning and vibration.
stewardc- I'm guessing that your main complaint is with vibration at idle?  Just curious as to know (if you do) how many mm of lift your IP is set at and the idle rpm.  These can make a difference for sure.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, it does help. I, however, haven't done any fine tuning yet. I set it up basically and am waiting for some more breakin miles before I do anything drastic.  It is starting to smooth out and run better, and it has stopped excessive oil usage. I think it's definitely a keeper, but I just started this thread to explore possibilities.
Thanks for the assistance guys. You always come through in a pinch, except for the time I was (am) looking for a Caddy emblem  :wink:

Reply #8April 15, 2006, 03:06:44 pm

mortskeg

• Junior

• http://www.vwcaddy.com
Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 03:06:44 pm »
You always come through in a pinch, except for the time I was (am) looking for a Caddy emblem  :wink:
Maybe your truck just wants to be loved for what it is- a Volkswagen Pickup LX. :lol:  :D  :wink:

Reply #9April 15, 2006, 04:35:42 pm

stewardc

Mk 1 engine mounts
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 04:35:42 pm »
Quote from: "mortskeg"
You always come through in a pinch, except for the time I was (am) looking for a Caddy emblem  :wink:
Maybe your truck just wants to be loved for what it is- a Volkswagen Pickup LX. :lol:  :D  :wink:

Just can't get no respect  :roll:

S-PAutomotive.com