Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: questionable rebuilt pump  (Read 2902 times)

Reply #15March 18, 2018, 08:43:14 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

Re: questionable rebuilt pump
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 08:43:14 am »
As I wrote in another thread, this pump was after all not to be trusted. I got a few hundred miles out of it before it began to leak massively from the input shaft. I removed it to find a ton of play in the shaft. My guess is that the pump was rebuilt on account of a leaking shaft seal, caused by an over-tightened TB and that they resealed it but didn't fix the bushing, so it lasted just until the wobbly shaft ruined the new seal. Of course it's possible that the pump was installed after the rebuild with an over-tightened belt, but then it seems odd that it wouldn't begin to leak until I drove it for a few hundred miles.

The rebuilder is some little shop in Canada. I was nervous when I bought the pump, but I half-seriously thought 'maybe the mechanics aren't as bad in Canada?' That was a stupid thought, since I got scammed by a (Canadian) forum member on my first attempt to buy an AAZ. (Of course I don't really think there's likely any meaningful generalization that can be made about this.)

Anyway, I guess I feel a little burned on this. Good thing it wasn't terribly expensive.

I have quite a lot of IP parts, and out of the three that are broken, maybe I can cobble together two that work.

Fixmyvw.com