S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: idle adjustment after fuel screw adjustment  (Read 1492 times)

January 16, 2018, 03:05:35 pm

zuhandenheit

• Junior

idle adjustment after fuel screw adjustment
« on: January 16, 2018, 03:05:35 pm »
I'm currently running an IP bought from another member of this forum. It was resealed and possibly rebuilt (recalibrated etc) overall. I have a number of questions about the pump, but to start:

The seller mentioned that he adjusted the fuel screw, and I suspect that this is why I have a high and sometimes hanging idle. I haven't done this nor the idle adjustment myself and am not exactly sure how to proceed. I don't yet have a tach (I've heard there are smartphone apps -- I'll look into this), so I can't say exactly where I'm idling, but it is definitely too high, and again, sometimes it hangs even higher after revving the motor and between gears.

I've looked at some diagrams and I believe that idle adjustment is made with the screw on the back of the pump, on top of the rod that attaches to the cold start lever. Is that correct? Can I turn this screw with the motor running to adjust idle?

Reply #1January 16, 2018, 06:11:39 pm

RunninWild

• Veteran

Re: idle adjustment after fuel screw adjustment
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »
Yes turn it counter clockwise about 1/8-1/4 turn and see if the idle settles down.

On that note does anyone know if its possible to calm the idle down from turning the screw in? My giles pump is as far in as i can get it without affecting the idle and im not getting enough fuel for my Holset. Sorry to thread jack but i figured it was relevant to the topic...

Reply #2January 16, 2018, 10:24:34 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:24:34 pm »
There are two stop screws for the lever on the back of the pump.  When you pull the cold start, the lever changes to the high idle stop screw.  When the cold start is pushed back in, that back lever rests on the idle screw. 

When at idle, the accelerator lever rests on the 'residual fuel screw'.  You might also need to lower that some to eliminate the surging at idle. 

Reply #3January 17, 2018, 01:16:15 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:15 am »
That makes sense -- thanks. When I went to work on this, I found that the cold start was hard to pull, and then I noticed that the rod for the cold start had come loose. I decided to just pull the pump so that I could take a closer look, and I started a new thread with some other questions about the pump.