Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Would You Run This Cylinder head?  (Read 3567 times)

Reply #15January 18, 2018, 11:04:18 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Would You Run This Cylinder head?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 11:04:18 pm »
Great instructions, as always.  I totally forgot about the in and out a little at a time part.  Like tapping a thread.  Easy does it those are to different types of metals working against one another.

Reply #16January 19, 2018, 12:01:47 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 12:01:47 pm »
i use an impact wrench to take them out, personally i think its probably the safest way but i am sure other people have removed and installed many more injectors than me. I've never cracked a boss though.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #17January 19, 2018, 12:03:39 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 12:03:39 pm »
also, i'd be pissed if someone sent that head even as "rebuilt" that crack from the prechamber leading to the valve will surely lead to failure. I'd expect new valves too because they really are not expensive at all.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #18January 19, 2018, 10:20:46 pm

r97

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 10:20:46 pm »
Excellent tips on getting those injectors out, hopefully they can help someone else avoid this kind of mess all together! Glad to see others share my disappointment with this quality of head work RabbitJockey, $500 should have easily been enough to get me all new valves in a rebuilt head...
I got the head welded a day ago, came out great. My welder said the aluminum in these heads welded smooth, and there was very little oil seeping out. We were also able to keep the threads aligned, and he took special care not to blow through and risk distorting the threads or the sealing surface in any way. Furthermore, he built up the area around the boss with weld so it should be stronger than ever. I've attached a picture of the work below. I measured the head and it appears to be nice and flat still, not even a 0.002" feeler gauge would fit under the straight edge at any point. That's certainly a nice bonus which I wasn't expecting, but I'll drop it off at my machine shop to have them double check.
My prechambers came out pretty easily with a dowel and hammer, and with the carbon cleaned off they slide in and out with light pressure. With this in mind I'm assuming oversize chambers is the way to go, or is standard size with a dab of loctite and peening sufficient? I'm off to school again for a few months, so I have until at least March to order parts and decide what I'm going to have the machine shop do. I will of course update everyone on the situation with the old head and the vendor in question as soon as its over and done.

Reply #19January 22, 2018, 09:46:09 am

Ruby Doom

• User+

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 09:46:09 am »

I got the head welded a day ago, came out great. My welder said the aluminum in these heads welded smooth, and there was very little oil seeping out. We were also able to keep the threads aligned, and he took special care not to blow through and risk distorting the threads or the sealing surface in any way. Furthermore, he built up the area around the boss with weld so it should be stronger than ever. I've attached a picture of the work below. I measured the head and it appears to be nice and flat still, not even a 0.002" feeler gauge would fit under the straight edge at any point. That's certainly a nice bonus which I wasn't expecting, but I'll drop it off at my machine shop to have them double check.
My prechambers came out pretty easily with a dowel and hammer, and with the carbon cleaned off they slide in and out with light pressure. With this in mind I'm assuming oversize chambers is the way to go, or is standard size with a dab of loctite and peening sufficient? I'm off to school again for a few months, so I have until at least March to order parts and decide what I'm going to have the machine shop do. I will of course update everyone on the situation with the old head and the vendor in question as soon as its over and done.

That looks good. I did this exact thing to my motor many years ago, torqueing back in an injector, but I was lucky enough to have a spare engine at the time, so I never did have to bother about getting it repaired.

Reply #20February 15, 2018, 12:14:34 pm

r97

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 12:14:34 pm »
Everything concerning the 'rebuilt' head I bought has finally been squared away. Though the cylinder head I received fell far short of my expectations, the seller Quality German Auto Parts has been excellent to deal with. I was refunded every cent I paid, shipping and all. This process did take a while, but that blame falls more on UPS than the seller. Unfortunately I can in no way recommend the rebuilt cylinder heads sold by this company, but their customer service has been about as good as one could expect. I see no reason not to order new (ie not rebuilt) components from this seller.

S-PAutomotive.com