S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Theft. Switch. Silinoid ip pump  (Read 1880 times)

January 11, 2018, 01:08:16 am

bpcaddy

• User+

Theft. Switch. Silinoid ip pump
« on: January 11, 2018, 01:08:16 am »
Could i install inline switch to the silinoid for iP pump? Can someone start it with switch turned to off? Will the silinoid ever open?

Also if I instal switch instead of seat belt warning bridge in fuse box, can someone jump start it. Vw mk1 have factor bridge but if taken out and key won't start it.

Thanks

Reply #1January 11, 2018, 08:38:14 am

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
Re: Theft. Switch. Silinoid ip pump
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:38:14 am »
Sure. If you hide an inline switch to the IP solenoid, it will prevent the engine from starting/running when off. But a person could still jumper 12v at the solenoid.

If you use a switch and relays, you can interrupt the circuit to both the starter and the fuel solenoid.

I don't know about the seatbelt warning or jumper.  What year, model?

Reply #2January 11, 2018, 11:07:00 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 11:07:00 am »
A 12v jumper wire from battery to solenoid or even removing the solenoid plunger will allow the car to be push started.  The steering lock requires the key in the ignition, though, and even if left unlocked when parked, the steering will lock on the first turn if jump started.  Spot trace is recommended quite a bit in Vanagon-land where similar condition vehicles are worth 10X+ what rabbit/golf/jettas are worth.

Reply #3January 11, 2018, 11:08:54 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:54 pm »
Had to look up the Spot Trace thing.  I thought it was something different.

ADVANCED THEFT-ALERT TRACKING FOR ANYTHING
Once activated and powered on, SPOT Trace will acquire its exact coordinates from the GPS network. SPOT Trace sends the GPS location to communication satellites.

Maybe I need one on the dog to find out where he is running off to at times.  Or who is feeding him better than I. 

Reply #4January 12, 2018, 12:32:37 am

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:37 am »
The seatbelt/starter lockout system cuts off voltage to the starter, so you would not be able to jump start it with the conventional battery to battery style of jump start. You could however just put voltage directly to the starter and get it going that way.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #5January 12, 2018, 07:36:38 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
If a thief can open the hood and has a little know-how, there is not any way to prevent the thief from running the engine.  Starting and running it only requires a jumper wire to the stop solenoid and bridging the connections at the starter.  The starter is not even needed for push starting.  Quite frankly, it is easier to bypass the starter and stop solenoid then it is to attempt to hot-wire the ignition.  That is why I mentioned the steering lock (which can also be defeated with a bit more effort) and Spot Trace, which if placed well, will not be found by the thief and allow quick/easy recovery.

S-PAutomotive.com