Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: NOS AAZ cam caps (?)  (Read 1469 times)

January 10, 2018, 11:34:27 am

zuhandenheit

• Junior

NOS AAZ cam caps (?)
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:27 am »
Hi again everyone,

I was surprised to discover that VW offered AAZ cam caps as a part independent of the cylinder head casting. Here's why I'm interested:

Many years ago I purchased an AAZ from a guy in Canada. It was my first motor and it was totally unusable. The seller took a very long time to ship the motor and complained a few times about finding things --  he ultimately cobbled together a mess of worn out and incorrect parts (TDI turbo -- which looked like *** -- and manifolds, a mix of one and two stage injectors, injector lines that didn't fit, etc). The block had a melted piston and the head had the wrong cam caps and a cam that wouldn't turn. I was pretty thoroughly ripped off.

But it did provide me with a load of extra parts which turned out to be helpful when I was getting my second motor set up.

Anyway, the head had been rebuilt. Unfortunately, it was useless, on account of the cam caps. But as I said, I recently found some old stock caps. I was really surprised, given that cam caps are, afaik, usually part of the casting of a head and can't be replaced. This inspired me to look more closely at my motor, and I see that caps don't appear to be a part of the head casting. So I'm wondering if VW did something different here. Would it be possible to get a set of caps and possibly save this head? Or are these caps intended to be align-bored with the head? (a service I've already learned is hard to find and probably not worth the cost)

I'm asking both out of sheer curiosity and because it would be nice to save this head. I am not sure that I would trust the rebuild, given all that was wrong with the motor, but it might be nice to have in case of an emergency, and I could have a shop look it over.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 11:37:01 am by zuhandenheit »

Reply #1January 10, 2018, 01:16:25 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

Re: NOS AAZ cam caps (?)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:16:25 pm »
If new/different cam caps are fitted to a head, then they should be align bored to the head.  It is very unlikely that the clearances will be correct prior to align boring.  You might get lucky, though. 

Reply #2January 10, 2018, 01:58:34 pm

zuhandenheit

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:58:34 pm »
Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I'll plastigauge it and see how it looks.

As I said, I was surprised that VW manufactured the caps separate from the head casting, but I guess they still machined the bore . . .

Reply #3January 10, 2018, 08:57:36 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 08:57:36 pm »
I need cam caps for an ahu head...same as the aaz. Send me a link of where to acquire the said caps I would appreciate that.