S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Just bought an 86 Jetta!  (Read 2458 times)

January 10, 2018, 12:00:19 am

beezneez

Just bought an 86 Jetta!
« on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:19 am »
https:// imgur.com/a/gV3Ul

I'm very excited to bring her home! i drove about 50 miles with no issues at all, I didnt really get the chance to take a look until the following day and i am so happy with this car. there are a few issues, one of which i already addressed which was a leaky tail light that had flooded the trunk. A tube of silicon and some epoxy wizardry later the leak seems to have been resolved.

The shifting linkage is terrible. the bushings are visually shot. not a project im looking forward to but i'll get her done!

the headliner is saggy but i think all of them are.

The coilovers are very firm.

The engine seems to be in very, very good shape. the injection pump has no leaks. it starts cold within a few turns of the starter. it runs like a top at 70mph.  there appears to be a leak coming from the valve cover gasket. everything else is ok for now. My only concern is i have no idea when the timing belt was done last, or if at all. Is it possible to go 300k on the original timing belt?

This is my first VW and my first Diesel. I have heard nothing but positive things on the gas mileage and reliability of these cars.  I look forward to sharing my progress with the jetta. I finnaly "get" the whole vw love!

Reply #1January 10, 2018, 12:28:54 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Just bought an 86 Jetta!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 12:28:54 am »
Well Welcome to the club.  The smiles for miles one that is.  You should start looking for or just purchase a Bentley for this car.  It is a small but necessary investment to keeping it going well.

The leak on valve cover is common and usually cured with removal, checking the points of contact for clean metal, no bending at the nut locations and a new gasket with a tad of sealant at the cam area.  A funky two piece gasket from VW for efficiency sake...

The shifter kit might fix all your woes on that.  Couple of places to get parts is Parts Place Inc, and Rock Auto.  But others like Autohaus or a whole host of others.  I myself compare about 6 places for price and availability.  Just good shopping habits.

You might be able to get a look at the timing belt condition by just removing the cover.  If it is worn or frazzled or cracked badly put that on the top of the list.  300 is a long way past for a first belt.  Tensioner gets replaced at the same time. 

See why you need a Bentley?   The only way to affordably own one of these critters.

Reply #2January 18, 2018, 02:09:35 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: Just bought an 86 Jetta!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:09:35 pm »
For suspension sounds like you need to go back to stock. I did the same thing when I bought my 85 golf.  Bilstein shocks and vw equivelant replacement springs should work for you.

S-PAutomotive.com