Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Grinding/clunking after changing trans fluid  (Read 2231 times)

December 19, 2017, 01:12:10 pm

SpannerMonkey23

Grinding/clunking after changing trans fluid
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:12:10 pm »
Hello everyone. I am slowly replacing all of the worn out shift linkages on a 90 Jetta 1.6 manual trans.

Yesterday I drained and refilled the gear oil in the trans. I used Red Line fluid I got from Parts Place.
The old fluid was a little brown in color. Not super bad, but definitely not new.

I jacked the car up with my floor jack and put jack stands under both A arms.

I refilled it with the full 2 quarts. Only spilling a small amount (about the size of a small pancake) on the ground.

I torqued the drivers wheel to 80ft lbs a

Today while driving to work, I noticed a weird clunking and grinding noise. Seemed most noticable on acceleration. It's definitely w rotational noise.
It doesn't seem to change with turning. It's really noticeable at lower speeds.
Only during acceleration on 1st through 3rd gear.
Primarily heard in 2nd, from what I can tell.

When I got to work, I searched around underneath the car and couldn't find anything loose with the wheels on it.

Any suggestions as to where I should start? Would this be a possible wheel bearing or axle bearing issue? I just can't imagine it's coincidence that it's now doing this after I flushed the trans.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:10:01 pm by SpannerMonkey23 »

Reply #1December 19, 2017, 08:21:54 pm

SpannerMonkey23

Re: Grinding/clunking after changing trans fluid
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:21:54 pm »
Little update. Took front end apart a few times and went on several test drives and only found this leaking seal. Checked fluid level again and cannot seem to pinpoint the noise. It does seem to occasionally go away.
Doesn't feel like a wheel bearing. It doesn't change with directional turning, it also doesn't grind when the tires are off the ground when manually turning it.

It's under my impression there's a bearing behind the CV shaft. If that's true, can I swap this bearing out easily?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reply #2January 18, 2018, 02:13:35 pm

srgtlord

• Veteran

Re: Grinding/clunking after changing trans fluid
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:35 pm »
Sounds like your differential might be on it's way out. Im currently waiting for mine to grenade. Im on my 2nd transmission with the same noise.

S-PAutomotive.com