Author Topic: 89 turbo jetta fuel supply leak  (Read 2089 times)

December 06, 2017, 06:36:57 pm

83caddy

89 turbo jetta fuel supply leak
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:36:57 pm »
car sat too long.  After I primed and worked on it a few minutes, it is firing up and running until filter supply runs out.
It seems to pull fuel from the filter, but not the tank.  On chance I just had a low tank, added fuel.   For background, I parked this because it was running low on power, and acting like it would die.  It behaves like low fuel supply issue though, not a power problem.  I can pop clutch and get some pretty equal power to what I once had, as I try to get it freed up from the parking spot, and moved to a serviceable location. 

There is the box between the fuel tank and the fuel filter that has been written about.  Not clear how these line breaches occur, or how to isolate the cause.  Described box has the drain blue cap on the bottom side.  It is right rear passenger, ahead of the right rear tire. 

Reply #1December 07, 2017, 02:12:45 am

Dakotakid

• Veteran

Re: 89 turbo jetta fuel supply leak
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:12:45 am »
If you read about the fuel/water separator box, I feel certain you read that the best thing you can do to help yourself is to REMOVE the box. Bang-zip, end of story.

The plastic degrades over the years and becomes essentially porous at it's seams, etc. As the front half of the fuel pump draws fuel from the tank, this now-compromised plastic box allows air to be drawn into the fuel line. Then, pump no-suckie like she used to.

Box is held on with 4 nuts.....which are removed.

Then, you will cut the two fuel lines servicing the box (one in...one out).....leaving the longest possible length of the two flexible parts of the line. (You will see what I mean once you get under there). Simply bridge the gap between the two flexible sections with a small metal brake line or brass tube with a couple small hose clamps. If I remember reasonably well......the patch line will need to be about 4 or 5 inches long....something like that. Figure out a way to keep this section of line well suspended and not hanging downward.

The last thing to consider here is the electrical connection that went into box to electronically trigger a light on your dash. As I recall, when you cut this line.....you want to separately tape them (isolate electrically) to avoid completing the circuit.

Your life is soon to be much better.

The mask and the shot(s) are actually an IQ test. If you are wearing or circulating, you just failed the test. I can't feel sorry for you.

S-PAutomotive.com